New User Feedback and Suggestions

trevor

Empfohlene Beiträge

OK first I have to say thank you to the developer(s) for this application. I have been looking for something like this forever and am quite excited about the possibilities.

I have been playing with it for a few days now and already have a list of suggestions.

1. Grouping and track sections. So you allow us to select multiple items and make them a group to manipulate and that is great. However, it would be wonderful if you could also make these groups act as a single entity, a track section, in the event handler. Case in point, while laying out track, virtual or otherwise, track segments are always combined into track sections with the intent that only one vehicle may normally enter said section at one time.  This would make events like "vehicle on section" a lot easier to handle rather than having to enter a huge AND or OR statement. Said sections would also need to have the ability to attach variables to them.

It would also be handy to combine multiple sections into another group "LINE" for those long single track systems so you can easily tell if something is coming the other way 10 sections away.

This also leads me into #2

2. SIGNALS.. It would be nice if signals were somehow LINKED to track sections. In a simple world, when linked, entry signals into a section should be RED if a vehicle is on the section somewhere without the need to code all that. Perhaps with the augmentation of a Entry_Requested token state to also move things along.

3. Events 1. The event handler is ok as far as it goes, however, it is cumbersome to use in a large scale project and requires a LOT of duplication. The duplicate function helps with the latter, but it is prone to errors as you have to search for and change all the variables that are applicable to the new version. An added text based editor or export/import XML function would be fantastic.

4. Events 2. It would REALLY be great if you could tie handlers directly to objects. Currently you have the ability to create and set variables at the object level which is great, but it would also be nice to program specific functionality at that level too so that the event is automatically associated with the particular object. Once I have all the code written for my first engine, it would be nice to copy it directly to the second engine without having to change anything in the code.

5. Events 3. Arrays. It would be great if you could define some variables as an array to facilitate easier state-machine programming.

6. Events 4. Looping. Creating code such as "For each Locomotive", "For each variable in array", "For each Section" etc would significantly cut down on event definitions since you would not have to create duplicates for each object with the appropriate conditions or object selected.

7. Events 5. General Timers. I couldn't find a way to have a general timer start on project load or simulation start. I ended up using some other event to start one, but there has to be a better way.

8. Tracks 1. Ok so I get that you built a catalog based on real world model rail tracks and that is great work. However for those of us that have no intent to ever building the model in real life it would be fantastic if the FIRST track section was GENERIC. Then populate it with the most often used section types with the appropriate dimensional names .  I find myself spending an inordinate amount of time searching for the right bit of track that I need and getting frustrated on not finding it. It would also be nice if it could automatically filter out tracks of the wrong gage for the current project..

9 Tracks 2. Last section... I am sure we all do it, lay out a whole bunch of track then have space for one piece, but guess what, its a weird length. It would be nice if you could :STRETCH the last piece and have it snap to the next join.

10. Tracks 3. I get irritated trying to manipulate track pieces. I try to drag one and find it sloping or twisting or doing some other thing I did not want it to do. Perhaps have the mouse icon indicate which function you are currently hovering over, or perhaps better, a tool pallet that lets you select the particular function you want the mouse to perform.

9: Tracks 4: Elevation and slopes. OK I figured out how to use the editor to slope my track up a gradient but was hugely disappointed to find it floating in mid air. It would be nice if this was somehow attached to the contour pulling thing in the landscape so that an embankment was automatically drawn up with the track. Doing the latter manually is a REAL CHORE, especially on the sloping sections. That might be asking too much, but maybe a different tool that lets you select a track section and draw up the landscape to it... an auto-embankment as it were.

10. Middle mouse button rotation. What middle mouse button? Can I suggest SHIFT or CTRL right button as an alternative method.

OK so all that sounds like I am complaining... really I am not. I just want to provide you with some developmental feedback and suggestions. I do realise I should not be holding my breath for any of them ;)

Best regards, Trevor

Item 8.  If you do  not plan to build in real life, have you considered the uses of the track editor completely?

item number 9.  Most real track companies make flex track, and the MBS has it in most sets.   It should not be stretched (but can be) but can  be cut shorter (Shortened in MBS) or bent to fit.

your second number 9.  I do not like auto embankment.   It tends to mess up to easily.   I frequently change the width of the terrain to avoid burial of a lower track and auto embankment would ruin that,.     Sometime on elevated track, I install bridges. 

Bearbeitet von Curt84328

7 hours ago, Curt84328 said:

your second number 9.  I do not like auto embankment.   It tends to mess up to easily.   I frequently change the width of the terrain to avoid burial of a lower track and auto embankment would ruin that,.     Sometime on elevated track, I install bridges. 

OOPS. Thanks for pointing out my error :) 

Yes I agree, perhaps the initial suggestion could be problematic. However, I still think the latter one might be considered. That is, select a group of tracks and click raise embankment or something.

well, it does raise terrain for tracks,  you can set the width of the embankment,  you can select one, or several tracks to select to raise the terrain beneath the tracks. 

Have you seen the auto tunnel program, which can also be used for bridges.  There is also an auto embankment program, but I have not tried it.

Am ‎11‎.‎09‎.‎2016 um 00:51 schrieb trevor:

9 Tracks 2. Last section... I am sure we all do it, lay out a whole bunch of track then have space for one piece, but guess what, its a weird length. It would be nice if you could :STRETCH the last piece and have it snap to the next join.

You can edit any track element to your heart's content - well, almost ...

First, select the track element.
Then click on the "edit" link in the properties

Flex Track 1.JPG

In the new window, you can (among many other choices) turn this element into a flex track:

Flex Track 2.JPG

and then pull length, curvature etc. the way you need (within boundaries, but still very flexible).

Bearbeitet von Goetz