'T' junctions and crossroads

Empfohlene Beiträge

Hi to all. I'm back with yet another problem to solve, possibly one for you Goetz.

My main layout has over 50 'T' junctions and some cross roads. In order to be able to have a smooth flow of traffic I decided that I needed to get to grips with the intricacies of traffic flow, easier said than done. My efforts to date have produced what could loosely described as a moderate success but that really isn't good enough.  The basic principle that I applied to solving this problem was to follow the general rule for rail crossings with barriers. I arrived at this conclusion after trying many other potential solutions. 

In the demo layout attached  I have simply concentrated on trying to iron out problems at the three south junctions and so those in the centre and north are pretty much a free for all. My thinking being that if I can solve the traffic flow through the three then it shouldn't be too difficult to apply it to all the others.

Perhaps my approach is the wrong one. Perhaps it is too complicated. It is however conceived from my thus far gained knowledge of EV, which as you may well have already noticed is not altogether great.

Any assistance that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. I have been playing around with this problem now, on and off, for about two months and after a while just put it to one side in the hope that I might have a eureka moment.

Cheers

Pete 

My T junction road Layout.mbp

Hi Pete,

I had a brief look at your experiment to see that it will take time to sort out.
And currently, private matters eat up a fair share of my time.

There are a number of example layouts available, covering this subject.

Have you studied them?

One may be found among Roter Brummers Mini Experiments: F894DE32-C9B5-4983-BE5A-0B2168B35B6F
Another example is this one here: 8C87AB40-B986-4408-B50F-9D204F95E188 (simple, without left or right turns)
And a more complex, albeit unfinished one: 1E7C5CDD-7DF4-46CD-974D-A5F8B153F69E

to briefly answer some of your questions:

Zitat

How do I hold a car until all oncoming cars have passed?

By counting the oncoming cars before and after the conflict zone

Zitat

How do I prioritise?

Again, by counting cars in priority lanes upon entering and upon leaving the conflict zone.

Kind regards
Goetz

Many thanks for that Goetz. I do fully understand you will have many other priorities. I am just grateful for any assistance that you can offer over time. As they say, there is always tomorrow!

I haven't so far seen the items that you have mentioned. I will take a look later today and see just how much I can learn from them. This might seem like an even dafter question but how do I access the items you have mentioned. I tried to copy and paste, double click and place in the search section above. Clearly I need a brain transplant.

Once again many thanks.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Goetz

Since sending my last message I have been trying all sorts. Having copied and pasted the posts into google, the forum search box I seem to have got lots of different items to read. All fascinating stuff but still a bit confusing.  

I'll follow your advice and see what comes up.

Many thanks once again. From reading many more of your posts I have concluded that you must have immense patience to cope with questions such as mine. I am so grateful that you have such patience.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Goetz

I've taken a look through each of the recommended demo's which in part do solve this problem as a general rule. Unfortunately the little bits that I have translated, thanks to Mr Google have left me further confused but it has highlighted the fact that my attempts so far need lots of work in order to gain both a smooth operation and a much more professional one. The drawing board awaits!!

Cheers

Pete