Jump to content

A strange container crane anomaly


220hotwheels

Recommended Posts

Hi fellow members

I have a really strange situation with one of the crane operation at my container terminal. At present the train pulls into the terminal, 2 trucks leave the depot and head for the train. They arrive and in doing so trigger the cranes, 1 and 2, to begin operations. Crane 1 starts first and gets halfway through its proceedure but then as it goes to pick up container 07a it overruns and basically freezes. Crane 2 has similar functions to perform and it does so without hickup. I have checked all of the EM for crane 1 and it appears to be correct. If I manually tell crane one to go back and pickup container 07a it does so and then continues to fullfill the remainder of the EM .

I have tried to attached 2 video's to try to demonstrate this issue but the sizes are too large. I've managed to reduce it using Shotcut but it's not in the format for this program, I'll have to do more work on that to change the file type, so I hope the screenshots of the EM covering the point in question will be sufficient.

I hope someone can let me know just what I have overlooked. If I scratch my head anymore I'll have lost what little hair I have left!!!!

Here's hoping.

Pete

container terminal hickup screenshot 1.jpg

container terminal hickup screenshot 2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Goetz said:

Whatever it is, it's not in the two screenshots you posted.

Hi Goetz

Thanks for confirming that. I'll see if I can get the video into an acceptable format tomorrow and if so then I'll post it so that you can see just what happens. I'll also deactivate the second crane operation and then try the first one again just to rule out a conflict. I'll let you know what happens.

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

vor 26 Minuten schrieb 220hotwheels:

so that you can see just what happens.

I'm not sure if seeing what happens helps in figuring out what's causing it to happen.

And you can't upload videos here. Upload them on YouTube and put a link here.
That's how we all do it.

Edited by Goetz
spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Goetz said:

I'm not sure if seeing what happens helps in figuring out what's causing it to happen.

And you can't upload videos here. Upload them on YouTube and put a link here.
That's how we all do it.

Hi Goetz

Thanks for the headsup regarding the video. Having never done one before I wasn't sure what was best.

I've run the crane operation this morning after deactivating completely the second crane operation and it worked fine. I've since checked all of the EM for the second crane operation and can't see any issue with it at all. My only thought is that perhaps as I copied the first crane EM and thern changed each of the components for the second one that somehow something has stuck and it is that causing the problem. It seems to centre around the 4th movement so I'll rewrite that from scratch for the second crane and see if that solves the issue. I'll let you know what the outcome is. I'll also try the video element, just so I know what I'm doing for future reference.

Thanks once again.

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 220hotwheels said:

Hi Goetz

Thanks for the headsup regarding the video. Having never done one before I wasn't sure what was best.

I've run the crane operation this morning after deactivating completely the second crane operation and it worked fine. I've since checked all of the EM for the second crane operation and can't see any issue with it at all. My only thought is that perhaps as I copied the first crane EM and thern changed each of the components for the second one that somehow something has stuck and it is that causing the problem. It seems to centre around the 4th movement so I'll rewrite that from scratch for the second crane and see if that solves the issue. I'll let you know what the outcome is. I'll also try the video element, just so I know what I'm doing for future reference.

Thanks once again.

Pete

Hi Goetz

Well I have carried out my trials and my conclusions are as follows:

1. Without any modification to the EM each gantry crane carries out it's scheduled tasks perfectly when left to do so independently.

2. If the second gantry crane is set in motion whilst the first one is still completing it's schedule then it causes the first crane to go into error mode.

3. I have got round this by adjusting the time for the second truck to arrive so that the second gantry crane operation only starts when the first one has finished.

The result of this is a perfect loading and unloading of both cranes. I do however have to introduce a third crane to this operation so that might be interesting.

Now that that part is sorted I have sent the train on its way. Once it gets back the operation must start all over again but this time repositioning all of the containers back to their original positions. I think this part might also require a little manipulation to ensure a smooth operation. 

By the way I am now sorted with Coral Videoplus 2023 for video editing, I've use it before, instead of Shotcut so look forward to being able to put the odd video on the youtube site.

Best regards

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

vor 29 Minuten schrieb 220hotwheels:

2. If the second gantry crane is set in motion whilst the first one is still completing it's schedule then it causes the first crane to go into error mode.

Hellp Pete,
This sounds to me like there's some section in the code that doesn't tell the two cranes apart, where it ought to.

But as I stated before (and on a number of previous occasions!) I'd have to look at the layout to really figure out what's causing the problems. Which by the way is also what you should do. Getting around the problem by whatever means only makes matters worse, because you'll introduce yet more traps.

Kind regards
Goetz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Goetz said:

Hellp Pete,
This sounds to me like there's some section in the code that doesn't tell the two cranes apart, where it ought to.

But as I stated before (and on a number of previous occasions!) I'd have to look at the layout to really figure out what's causing the problems. Which by the way is also what you should do. Getting around the problem by whatever means only makes matters worse, because you'll introduce yet more traps.

Kind regards
Goetz

 

26 minutes ago, Goetz said:

Hellp Pete,
This sounds to me like there's some section in the code that doesn't tell the two cranes apart, where it ought to.

But as I stated before (and on a number of previous occasions!) I'd have to look at the layout to really figure out what's causing the problems. Which by the way is also what you should do. Getting around the problem by whatever means only makes matters worse, because you'll introduce yet more traps.

Kind regards
Goetz

How right you are. A fix at any cost is not always the safest way. I will take a second copy of the layout and then take the EM back to basics and begin again for the crane movements in an effort to find the problem. If that doesn't work then I'll create a demo layout for the purpose in order to find the issue. I'm happy to send you a copy of the layout but would have to completely exonerate myself from the results of the permenant laughing fit that you might encounter along with the ensuing medical problems that might bring on!!!! The file size is 5060kb or there abouts. I also have some bespoke trucks that would appear as ? marks unless I also send you the relevant files. It all seems a bit messy so perhaps I should just try to find the error myself. In hindsight I'll make a demo layout and if I can't solve the problem with that then perhaps I could send you that for your opinion.

Best regards 

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, 220hotwheels said:

 

How right you are. A fix at any cost is not always the safest way. I will take a second copy of the layout and then take the EM back to basics and begin again for the crane movements in an effort to find the problem. If that doesn't work then I'll create a demo layout for the purpose in order to find the issue. I'm happy to send you a copy of the layout but would have to completely exonerate myself from the results of the permenant laughing fit that you might encounter along with the ensuing medical problems that might bring on!!!! The file size is 5060kb or there abouts. I also have some bespoke trucks that would appear as ? marks unless I also send you the relevant files. It all seems a bit messy so perhaps I should just try to find the error myself. In hindsight I'll make a demo layout and if I can't solve the problem with that then perhaps I could send you that for your opinion.

Best regards 

Pete

Hi Goetz

Well, as always you were right. It was a problem in my EM. Having taken it all back to basics I found the error.

This container movement operation is, for me, quite complex. There are 2 container trains each with 9 containers. I'm only concentrating on one of these at present in order to get the EM right but as the train pulls into the depot, on the inward leg it triggers the trucks to leave the depot and head for the terminal. Because I am loading/unloading on both inward and outward legs it was necessary for me to "enable or disable" each relevant module and this is where I had come unstuck. My EM had instruction in the wrong place as well as the right place. I also found that by resetting the crane at the end of the outbound element it was causing me a problem with part of the inbound operation. Having now removed that instruction it all works perfectly, no need for my temp fix, so I can now move on to get the third gantry crane running before I move on to do it all over again for train 2.

Many thanks once again for steering me in the right direction. Without the kick up the backside I was overlooking the obvious, ouch.

Best regards

Pete

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Goetz said:

Im sorry that what was meant to be a gentle nudge felt like a

I'm not good at being gentle. :)

Not a problem, brutal honesty makes me take action, the softly, softly approach is sometimes ignored. At the end of the day being able to put your ideas into practice and see them work is a real tonic, almost as good as a 12 year old Spanish brandy or a mature Scotch whisky. The former however helps to sharpen the little grey cells, the latter simply numbs them.

Thanks again Goetz

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...