Empfohlene Beiträge

I am trying to create a model with a uv material mapped I have tried Sketchup but the method creates a new image that contravenes the  2x2 rule Sketchup will upload a colour ok. I have tried Blender but I am having a problem with exporting an x file with a uv mapped side. I have tried Wings 3d  but I cannot import the x file into 3D Train.(it reports unsupported file format) but again I can import a straight coloured x file. Can anyone help

Regards

Bev Thompson

Hi Bev,
first of all I can only explain thet in Blender (never worked with Sketchup, Wings,etc.).

Step 1: Create a BMP with the texture you want in an Program like Gimp, Inkscape, PaintshopPro,...,export in  FileFormat *.dds or *.png, NOT in *.jpg
in Size of 2*2, you already said, eg. 512*512. this File must be in the same Directory like your *.blend File.

Step 2. We change to Blender: I'm gonna make an Example:
    1.Create a Cube
    2.Select the Cube, Change to the Material-Tab and click NEW, Nothing else

forum2.thumb.jpg.605fecc23e54c7d9ba5fd1c10db2ddf2.jpg

sorry, interrupted I_Net , so I have to start a new Thread:

next step: Keep your Cube selected, Change to the next Tab, called "Texture", Click on NEW and Open your Picture you want to assign, then it looks like this:

forum5.jpg.fc116d65a27d608be687ed0b1a776537.jpg

next step is: select in the Edit-Mode, for instance, one face, press "U", select Unwrap and go to the U/V Editor, now you see the Frame, but NO Picture:

forum6.thumb.jpg.b8111541ac01d2ef60cb478e859fb787.jpg

At the Bottom of the Editor you have to open your Picture again, then you see something like this:

forum7.thumb.jpg.11623d30a10be7fdc61974f37f02474d.jpg

now you can move, scale, rotate the Frame, and this will project  to your selected Face of the Object, you can see it directly in the Object-Editor,

from now on you can Export it easily with the X_porter from the WIKI-Site here.

greetz max

Hello Bev,

how do you create an UV-map with Sketchup?
I am using Sketchup intensivlly, but I have never created a texture with Sketchup to be used for coloring a Sketchup model. I have always created the texture outside of Sketchup and then applied to the Sketchup model. So I never had a problem to create a texture with 2^x dimensions.

Many greetings
BahnLand

Hello Bev,

vor 3 Stunden schrieb bevjcthompson:

I am using the 'projected image' method as suggested in a tutorial by a Sketchup user.

I assume that you mean this post (it's from me).

vor 3 Stunden schrieb bevjcthompson:

This works ok until I export to x file when the image is saved is not to the 2^x standard.

This is no problem in principle, because you can change the texture image format subsequently to 2^x standard:

If you paint your Sketchup model using a texture image, all texture coordinates within the x-file, which was created with the DirectX exporter, are relative coordinates with regard to the texture image dimensions. If this texture image does not suffice the 2^x standard, you can change it to 2^x format by stretching it like a rubber blanket after you have created the x-file. If you now try to import this x-file to the Train Studio, this will function, and the look of the imported model will be unchanged in relation to the original Sketchup model.

For example:
Consider the following model of a hydrant sign.

Vergleich.jpg.052911ae925f7b5d42ddb604724bf944.jpg

At first, consider the object in the left of the picuture above. This is the original model. You see it's original texture on the top left of the picture below. I have now created two exchange textures which I have recolored for a better distinction: The green texture has a double width, the yellow texture a double height, while the dimension in the other direction is unchanged. When I now replace the original texture of the model by one of the exchange textures, the resulting look of the object is unchenged (except of the changed color, see the other models in the picture above). This behavior is also valid for stretched textures to be used with an x-file.

Texturen.thumb.jpg.5f2dc427c0932c69ed62101655bfab76.jpg

Many greetings
BahnLand

• 2 Wochen später...

Hi BahnLand

I have reverted to using Sketchup. I have created a Carriage body with the required projections and I have created  a Bogie but I have come back to my problem of getting 2 bogies to follow the track. What is the correct way  of labeling  the bogies with _WheelSet0  and _WheelSet1?

Regards

Bev Thompson

Hello Bev,

I have made a little example for you, which you can find within this package:

Abstract wagon.zip

It contains the skp-file of a very simple and abstract wagon as shown in the picture below.

589936861_SketchupSource.thumb.jpg.21a2419e1a1d6df3ad2937a00f440de0.jpg

This model consists of 3 model groups named "Body", "_WheelSet0" and "_WheelSet1", where the latter two groups represent the bogies of the wagon.

1935362139_SketchupDetail.thumb.jpg.fb4065b2a03a6a5e51fcd49fe460ba24.jpg

To create the "_WheelSet0" group, select all components belonging to the bogie, make a group of them, and give this group the name "_WheelSet0". Create the "_WheelSet1" group in the same way.

Use the Sketchup Directx Exporter of the package

DirectX-Exporter V3.zip                                            (this is the current version)

to creste the x-file for the Train Studio. Please install the exporter (this is the rb-file within this package)  as described in the pdf-file (also part of the zip-package).

The "Abstract wagon.zip" file above also contains the already exported x-file together with the needed texture file, which you can import directly to the Train Studio.

1118467172_MBSModel.thumb.jpg.8cb4d6aac0fd3821d69a94536b4927ef.jpg

As you see in the picture above, the bogies are aligned correctly along the curved track.

Many greetings
BahnLand

Hi BahnLand

Many thanks for your help. Finally ,after several weeks work, I have produced a model of a British rail Mark3 carriage with bogies correctly allinged to the track. With the zip file you sent, I realised that  to use the correct 'mm' setting for  Sketchup, to use materials from jpegs and not the materials  inside Sketchup , to label the groups correctly and to use the correct x exporter.

Many thanks

Bev Thompson

ScreenShot008.jpg