Labels

trevor

Empfohlene Beiträge

Labels give us the ability to align text left right or centre, however that does not impact the justification of the label itself on the board which auto-size to fit the text..

Either make it so the x-y origin of the label is either at the left right or centre based on the text setting, or let us fix the size of the label box so we can align them manually ourselves.

In some ways, the latter would actually be the better solution. Then we can make it as wide and tall as we want. If the text doesn't fit... too bad.

Or perhaps make the latter an option.

This is particularly an issue with labels that are set dynamically by the event handles. Hard to make a nice table of left justified text when the darn labels keep resizing and effectively moving.

Bearbeitet von trevor

Quite right, Curt.
But that doesn't affect the problem Trevor mentioned.

The moment the content of a text field changes, the size changes too to fit the new content. And that size change is always around the centre of the label. If the text content varies, because it is fed by the EV, the text can only ever be centred, never left-justified, right-justified etc.

Say you have one label that reads "train:" and a second with the train's name. You'd want the train name to follow after the label "train". But depending  on the length of the (varying) name you'll sometimes have a large gap and sometimes an overlap.

Hi,

customizing the label's size would increase its complexity, which I want to avoid. I think synchronizing the origin of the label to the text alignment is a better choice, because this would everybody understand (a left aligned text always starts at the top-left corner).

Changing this behavior now would break the position of existing labels, that's why I'm planning to implement this behavior in the next major release of Train Studio (V4).

Kind regards,

Neo

On 9/28/2016 at 2:22 PM, Neo said:

Hi,

customizing the label's size would increase its complexity, which I want to avoid. I think synchronizing the origin of the label to the text alignment is a better choice, because this would everybody understand (a left aligned text always starts at the top-left corner).

Changing this behavior now would break the position of existing labels, that's why I'm planning to implement this behavior in the next major release of Train Studio (V4).

Kind regards,

Neo

Maybe simply add a NEW label type, or even two new label types.. Label Left, and Label Right :)