How to get helicopter rotors to stop and start through the program

Empfohlene Beiträge

Hi everyone

I am trying to introduce another element to my layout by adding a helicopter. Setting out a suitable flightpath is straightforward, the helicopter to follow said flightpath is also no problem. Where I am struggling is in getting the rotors to start and stop automatically. No matter what I have tried so far I just cannot get it right. If I use the "stop animation" as the helicopter comes into land then yes the rotors will stop but then  the helicopter won't start up again. I am sure there is a very simple solution to this but so far it is escaping me so if anyone has the answer I would be most grateful. I have attached a small demo which I hope will show my problem.

Cheers

Pete

Helicopter demo.mbp

Hi Pete,
take a look into the event protocol (in your layout). When you press the switch, things are going recursive.
To avoid that, I used my little Trigger-Taster (it returns automatically in base position and has only a trigger-effect) and placed it over the old switch which has no function anymore. Then it really needs Animation Stop. Always use current animation position. That's it.

cheers
  Andy

p.s.: a condition for the presence of the stopped helicopter would be nice to avoid effects of the switch while the copter is flying.

Helicopter demo Re.mbp

Bearbeitet von Andy
p.s.

Hi Andy

What can I say other than brilliant. As with so many things in this life the solution is often so simple. I've spent around 4 hours trying to solve what you have clearly sorted in a matter of minutes. I look forward to the time when my knowledge base of this hobby is even partly comparable to guys like you.

Once again many thanks.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,
that's all just a matter of time. And this little trigger-switch uses a special feature where I had a long time to fight for for being inplemented to MBS. So it's still unique in its function and because my very first steps in model creation not much of a graphical highlight, so it's surely not waving when you search for a fitting switch. Knowing it very well, that was not much of a solution.
You could use your layout as well if you cut the direct connection of the switch and have a condition for the switch's position to avoid recursivity. Still, animation better always starts/stops/continues from the current position.

cheers
  Andy

Hi Andy

Not too sure how to best understand your comment in the last paragraph, I'll just have to think about it a bit longer, that's the problem when your brain gets to 75 yrs, it slows down and need constant prodding or another beer!!!

I have applied your suggestion though to my main layout and hey presto all works fine. Just one further thought. I have created quite a complex control panel in order to keep tabs on all moving objects with lights highlighting just where everything is, mainly car, trucks, busses, boats, cranes etc and now helicopters. So far I have used the switch that I added to my helicopter demo which seems to do the job of turning each thing on and off when required. Would you recommend that I consider changing these switches to your taster?

Cheers

Pete

vor 21 Minuten schrieb 220hotwheels:

Not too sure how to best understand your comment in the last paragraph

Allow me, please ...

1. The event is triggered whenever the switch is toggled. Regardless of it's new position (on or off)
  2. Your first action is that you set the switch anew.
    For what purpose, I don't know.
    But this causes the event to be triggered again!
    It also keeps you from ever turning the switch "off" again.

1332108722_HeliSwitch.jpg.d15f6d6bb006f60cca1af6c7e1b96e38.jpg

What you actually want to do, is respond only when the switch is set to the "on" position.
In other words: The position "on" is a condition which must be fulfilled in order for any action to take place

446919983_addingacondition.jpg.d8345d3245670ab2282576c7b3f71191.jpg

use the + sign to add a condition.
select the switch position condition

set this condition to verify that your particular switch is in the "on" position

243042837_HeliSwitchcondition.jpg.3ac19cbb803ebba3e1ddd1ff6089fafa.jpg

With this basic understanding of logic, no "special switch" is required.

Best regards
Goetz

Bearbeitet von Goetz
typos

Hi Andy & Goetz

Apologies for taking time to respond. I had picked up your replies earlier but had to take a phone call from the  Loss Adjusters appointed by our insurance company. I am in the process of concluding a settlement for Business Interruption caused by Covid-19 for our bookbinding company and typical of insurers they have a very large book of silly questions that require multiple answers before they make up their minds. I've lost count of the number of spreadsheets I have completed but I think I can now safely say that I have a result. Phew.

Both of your solutions are great. I've already implemented yours Andy for the helicopters and will now utilise your suggestion Goetz with parts of the control panel. Having this forum with all you knowledgeable guys is a bit like having multiple yoda's.

Cheers

Pete