Empfohlene Beiträge

Hi again.

Has anyone had any success making realistic mountains at V7? The best I can seem to manage is soggy looking burial mounds or things that look like the sugar-loaf mountain in Rio De Janeiro.

Capture.JPG.7490280ded9fbe683c4cad512ba56ee3.JPG44.jpg.6d89da4fd0227fbf3aeec803c0c6a68d.jpg

Compare this with V6:

Capture.thumb.JPG.fae8b2e099df020d17e7753d121aa1c3.JPG

That's just the initial state of them. They ended up looking like this:

Capture.thumb.JPG.21cefa0df6976209bfd8bdc3fd9d5baa.JPG

This was the layout that I was trying to get the ski-lift working on, by the way...

At V7 it takes aged just to create a pimple, but at V6 I could select an area and tell it I wanted it 300mm above baseboard level and it was there instantly.

In my opinion this is a step in the wrong direction.

Bearbeitet von simonjackson1964

Hi simonjackson1964,

I have just installed the V7 and I have no experiences so far with the novelties in landscape building.

What you show in the pics, looks GREAT anyway :-)

Perhaps this link ...

... and Google's help with its translator may help you. I'll be happy if so.

Best regards from

Georg

Hi Simon

I have created quite a lot of different scenery in V4 then V5 and V6 but I will admit that I think V7 is the best for such tasks. It does take a little patience but by playing around with both the size and strength it is possible to create some very realistic hills, valleys, mountains etc. Think of moulding with clay. You create a basic shape and then mould it by changing tool size. Later today I'll create a mountain range for you to take a look at but it will not be until later as Monday's are a busy day for me.

Kind regards

Pete

Hi Simon

I've been between meetings and just thrown together a brief mountain scene.

I started off with a small piece of track, raise it to the height that I want the mountain, adjusted the terrain and applied, then just keept doing that to create a rough mountain range. Angle the rail track to assist in the different angles. Once you have the rough outline then use the size and strength tools to achieve your desired look. Throw on some paint and in doing so adjust the size, opacity and scaling to suit.

The attached took me around 6 minutes and clearly needs much work to finish it off but it should provide the basics. When painting I have found that applying the lighter colours first and then overpainting with other, darker textures is best.

Hope this helps

Pete

Mountains with V7.mbp

4 hours ago, Goetz said:

Hello Simon,

Have you tried a hard edge brush set to a small size?

Greets
Goetz

Hi Goetz

Hmm, no, actually, I didn't try that. I'll give it a go.. Thanks

2 hours ago, 220hotwheels said:

Hi Simon

I've been between meetings and just thrown together a brief mountain scene.

I started off with a small piece of track, raise it to the height that I want the mountain, adjusted the terrain and applied, then just keept doing that to create a rough mountain range. Angle the rail track to assist in the different angles. Once you have the rough outline then use the size and strength tools to achieve your desired look. Throw on some paint and in doing so adjust the size, opacity and scaling to suit.

The attached took me around 6 minutes and clearly needs much work to finish it off but it should provide the basics. When painting I have found that applying the lighter colours first and then overpainting with other, darker textures is best.

Hope this helps

Pete

Mountains with V7.mbp 29.37 kB · 13 downloads

Hi Pete

Actually that's pretty much how I created hills and smooth slopes at V6. Was hoping I wouldn't need to at V7.

On a related to[ic, it's good to see that the landscape can now have a negative Z-value, otherwise I would be complaining about the inability to put rivers in - previously  have raised the entire surface of the baseboard by 100mm in order to create a depression, or put a smaller baseboard underneath and raised the sides...

Serious, Simon?

First - why the round trip via a map export?
Why not save and import the ground plate directly?

Second - have you tried the various brushes and sizes?
Have you experimentet with the four methods of shaping the ground? (raise, lower, flatten and smooth)?

I suggest you give yourself a little more time to develop a feel for the new tools. Everyone else seems to like them.

Greets
Goetz