Speed change

Empfohlene Beiträge

You should have a route between the signals.
So only one train can be on that route.
You can store the train in a variable for that route and set the speed to the train stored in the variable if the signal changes.
But that is the dirty way.
Speed should not change while a train is on the route between the speed lowering contact and the signal contact.

Bearbeitet von HaNNoveraNer

vor 12 Minuten schrieb georgeb:

how can I monitor this and speed up the approaching train?

Hello George,

You'll need to memorise the train when it enters the section.
Then respond to the changing signal by addressing that memorised train to speed it up.

Remember to delete that train from your memory when it leaves the section (or else you'll alter it's speed regardless, any time the signal changes)

greets
Goetz

Gerade eben schrieb HaNNoveraNer:

A signal should not change while a train is on the route.

Not true, Thomas.

The train may approch a signal currently showing Red (with the advance signal showing Yellow)
During that approach, the condition may change, i.e. the path may get cleared and the signal ahead changes to Green
In such case, George would like to speed up the train to nominal speed again

Hello,

the model railroad studio behaves in this case completely conform to reality. The braking process is aborted and the vehicle does not accelerate again until it has reached the switched signal. In reality, this is constantly checked by the inductive train protection system, and if the driver misbehaves (accelerates before the signal), forced braking would be initiated.

HG
Brummi

Hallo,
das Modellbahnstudio verhält sich in diesem Fall vollkommen konform zur Realität. Der Bremsvorgang wird abgebrochen und das Fahrzeug beschleunigt erst wieder dann, wenn es das umgestellte Signal erreicht hat. In der Realität wird dieses durch die induktive Zugsicherung ständig überprüft und bei einem Fehlverhalten des Triebfahrzeugführers (Beschleunigung vor dem Signal) würde eine Zwangsbremsung eingeleitet.

HG
Brummi

In the UK, if a driver sees a signal ahead of him change in his favour, then he will speed up to his line speed.  Thanks for all your help and comments.

I have been  (or still am)  on many forums but none better than this for great accurate support and fast also.  Thank you all.

George

This is interesting. Thanks George for asking the question and thanks Brummi for the definitive answer.

Thinking about the scenario George poses: A train passes a KS type signal that is yellow (69 type yellow signals mean something different, and as I learned a while ago, there would be an approach or distant signal between the two block signals).

The driver slows to 25mph/40kph (which I still think is incredibly slow) to pass the signal. 500m further on he comes in sight of the red signal. And as he approaches it, so it changes. But it's not going to go green, except in two possible circumstances:

1. The signal is at the start of a lower traffic area and is only two aspect.
  2. The train in front has taken a different route or has sped up and the signal was already yellow.

Normally the signal would go from red to yellow as the train in front moved out of that block. So the train following would not accelerate to line speed anyway..

The thing I noticed about Brummi's answer is that while on the railways the rules are enforced by the ATPS, they are actually the same as on the roads: You should slow down as you approach a speed limit sign that is lower, and not accelerate until you reach a speed limit sign that is higher. The fact that most drivers do the opposite is because there is no automated speed control for cars - at least, not one that will enforce speed limits. .... Yet...!

Simon

Bearbeitet von simonjackson1964
Clarification

Two interesting discussions here.  1) Real life and 2) some code to make it happen.

A train approach a yellow (in the UK) indicated a red is next.  When the section ahead (beyond the red) is clear, because of routes, the red can go directly to green because of an advance route ahead being now totally clear.

ON THE OTHER FROME - I do need help (please)

Train name held in a module variable  CURRENTTRAIN = London

I wish to code, on the change of a variable (GONEGREEN) that all trains called LONDON (there is only one) to set a speed of, say, 90.

How?

George

I may have solved it by accident:-

layout:enumVehicles(function (vehicle)
      if vehicle:hasEngine() then
           if vehicle.name == $("Events").variables["HeldName"] then
        vehicle.targetSpeedAbs = 99
        end
      end
    end
  )

** Where HeldName = the Name of the vehicle I wish to speed up.

On 3/21/2022 at 5:54 PM, georgeb said:

A train approach a yellow (in the UK) indicated a red is next.  When the section ahead (beyond the red) is clear, because of routes, the red can go directly to green because of an advance route ahead being now totally clear.

Using routes at V7 this happens automatically, I think. No time to check right now as I'm on my lunch break.