Classic British Steam trains

Empfohlene Beiträge

Hi to all my fellow members and to all those very clever modellers

I would be curious to learn if there are any steam train modellers out there who would consider trying their hand at one of, or all of, the following classic British steam trains, The Mallard, The Flying Scotsman and the Prince of Wales, see photo's attached.

Not being a modeller myself I haven't a clue as to what is involved in producing such classic locomotives but I think these would be a great addition to the catalogue if it is at all possible.

Not holding my breath but still got my fingers crossed.

Kind regards

Pete

The Mallard.jpg

Prince of Wales steam train.jpg

The Flying Scotsman 1.jpg

Hi Pete,

I think the general demographics of MBS users talks again expecting too many English models. Unless Neo makes a UK marketing push ;) 

Steam locomotives I would consider, as a humble MBS creator myself, to be the most massive projects due to both intrigante designs/details and complex wheel/animation arrangements. Take a peek at the German steamer Maxwei is building right now... He is the master builder and yet he is on a long journey creation wise (see last page)

With that said, I love English trains too (only a little less that German and Swiss ones) and I think older UK locomotives and passenger carriages are beautiful. Even many UK diesels are classics.

Kind regards,
Henrik

Bearbeitet von henricjen

21 minutes ago, henricjen said:

Hi Pete,

I think the general demographics of MBS users talks again expecting too many English models. Unless Neo makes a UK marketing push ;) 

Steam locomotives I would consider, as a humble MBS creator myself, to be the most massive projects due to both intrigante designs/details and complex wheel/animation arrangements. Take a peek at the German steamer Maxwei is building right now... He is the master builder and yet he is on a long journey creation wise (see last page)

With that said, I love English trains too (only a little less that German and Swiss ones) and I think older UK locomotives and passenger carriages are beautiful. Even many UK diesels are classics.

Kind regards,
Henrik

Hi Henrik

Many thanks for the informative view. Clearly for we mere mortals who take advantage of the skill and dedication applied by the many model makers who so generously contribute to MBS it goes to show just how little we know, We enjoy the end results and at times struggle to do justice to them in our layouts. At times we beef that the model is not quite as we might like it but lets be honest without their skill our layouts would look very different indeed. So in conclusion I can only dream and see what the future might bring with possible classic British steam engines.

Cheers 

Pate

18 minutes ago, HWB said:

Hallo,

Maybe something will come up here

https://3d-train-studio.uk/

Greetings Hermann

Thanks Herman, Clearly I need to keep an eye open on the above, however, having tried to get to grips with Blender about 12 months or so ago I decided that I clearly am not a model maker, my forte is in creating complete scenes but in doing so I have to rely upon the expertise of actual model makers to provide the 3D items that I can use.

Kind regards

Petet 

4 minutes ago, 220hotwheels said:

Thanks Herman, Clearly I need to keep an eye open on the above, however, having tried to get to grips with Blender about 12 months or so ago I decided that I clearly am not a model maker, my forte is in creating complete scenes but in doing so I have to rely upon the expertise of actual model makers to provide the 3D items that I can use.

Kind regards

Petet 

Hi Hermann

Apologies for missing an 'n' off your name, I can't even get my own name right sometimes. Just imagine what my models would be like if I were able to create one!!!

Cheers

Pete

42 minutes ago, HWB said:

RuletheRailMallard.thumb.jpg.6f3b009b79ad05957927bd234b9413ee.jpg

Rule the Rail Mallard

Hi Hermann

The above look really good but please forgive my ignorance as I do not really understand the web references quoted. It's safe to say that anything to do with 3D model making is completely beyond me. That said I have promised myself to see if I can produce some office furniture using Sketchup but I think it is going to take some time.

Are you suggesting that it might be possible to produce a model of The Mallard from information that you currently have?

Pete

Hallo Pete,

die Modelle liegen bei mir schon als 3D Modell zur Bearbeitung vor. Das sich im MBS die Räder drehen,die Lokomotive dampft und Drehgestelle sich an Gleise anpassen schaffe ich mit Metasequoia4 schon. Was ich noch nicht schaffe sind die Gestänge oder Pantographen bei E-Lokomotiven zu animieren.
Mit Blender komme ich überhaupt nicht klar

Gruß Hermann

Hi Pete,

I already have the models as 3D models for editing. I can already make the wheels turn in MBS, the locomotive steams and the bogies adapt to the track with Metasequoia4. What I can't do yet is animate the rods or pantographs on electric locomotives.
I don't get on at all with Blender

Greetings Hermann

Bearbeitet von HWB

1 hour ago, HWB said:

Hello Pete,

The models are already available to me as 3D models for editing. With Metasequoia4 I can already manage the wheels turning in the MBS, the locomotive steaming and the bogies adapting to the tracks. What I can't yet do is animate the rods or pantographs on electric locomotives.
I don't get along with Blender at all

Greetings Hermann

Hi Pete,

I already have the models as 3D models for editing. I can already make the wheels turn in MBS, the locomotive steams and the bogies adapt to the track with Metasequoia4. What I can't do yet is animate the rods or pantographs on electric locomotives.
I don't get on at all with Blender

Greetings Hermann

Hi Hermann

Wow, that's great news on the one hand and a small problem on the other. Perhaps a collaboration might be a solution, not however with me as I would be about as useful as a chocolate fire guard in such matters but I'm sure there are other model makers who do use Blender and have the expertise to assist. I had asked @Sualokink (Klaus) if he was able to produce such models as I love all of his work and he recently undertook to produce a bespoke Renault Magnum, trailers and people for me, you might have seen the posts. Klaus undertook this request in order to try to ensure that the initial work undertaken by @Dad3353 (Douglas) could be added to the catalogue. Unfortunately the original that Douglas produced apparently had too many polygons or something and Neo could not accept it. My point is that these were completed by means of a collaboration, the end result is brilliant.

So my hopes are now up, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak as long as you are happy to seek assistance on this then I think you are on to a really brilliant addition to the catalogue. I only wish my expertise, or lack thereof, could be of more benefit.

Cheers

Pete

Here's my Flying Scotsman running in MBS...

Hier läuft mein Flying Scotsman im MBS ...

Still some work to do (reducing the horrendously large Texture files, centring the wheels (thanks, Blender, you fool..!) and, for good measure, animating the valve gear. I've already done this previously, and it 's easy with Blender, except that MBS doesn't accept the result..! Using Constraints, it all works, but MBS doesn't know what a Constraint is. It can be done using Bones (although that's tricky for more complex movements...), but I prefer to do it all by hand, in 'stop-motion' fashion. Give it a few days and we'll see what I can come up with. (Again, I must stress that the original, static monoblock model is not mine; it came from RigModels...)

Es gibt noch einiges zu tun (die schrecklich großen Texturdateien verkleinern, die Räder zentrieren (Danke, Blender, du Idiot...!) und, als Zugabe, den Ventiltrieb animieren. Das habe ich schon früher gemacht, und das ist es auch Einfach mit Blender, außer dass MBS das Ergebnis nicht akzeptiert. Mit Constraints funktioniert alles, aber MBS weiß nicht, was ein Constraint ist. Es kann mit Bones gemacht werden (obwohl das bei komplexeren Bewegungen schwierig ist). .), aber ich bevorzuge es, alles von Hand zu machen, in „Stop-Motion“-Manier. Nehmen Sie sich ein paar Tage Zeit und wir werden sehen, was ich mir einfallen lassen kann. (Ich muss noch einmal betonen, dass der ursprüngliche, statische Monoblock Modell ist nicht meins; es stammt von RigModels...)

Douglas

... and I suppose that a steam loco of the sort needs carriages to pull. I'll have to get going on these Stl files, then...

... und ich nehme an, dass eine solche Dampflok Waggons zum Ziehen braucht. Dann muss ich mit diesen Stl-Dateien loslegen ...

Coac_Stl.thumb.jpg.83711ee9d8697a8c29ec9ecf7735cd47.jpg

Douglas

Bearbeitet von Dad3353

26 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Here's my Flying Scotsman running in MBS...

Hier läuft mein Flying Scotsman im MBS ...

Still some work to do (reducing the horrendously large Texture files, centring the wheels (thanks, Blender, you fool..!) and, for good measure, animating the valve gear. I've already done this previously, and it 's easy with Blender, except that MBS doesn't accept the result..! Using Constraints, it all works, but MBS doesn't know what a Constraint is. It can be done using Bones (although that's tricky for more complex movements...), but I prefer to do it all by hand, in 'stop-motion' fashion. Give it a few days and we'll see what I can come up with. (Again, I must stress that the original, static monoblock model is not mine; it came from RigModels...)

Es gibt noch einiges zu tun (die schrecklich großen Texturdateien verkleinern, die Räder zentrieren (Danke, Blender, du Idiot...!) und, als Zugabe, den Ventiltrieb animieren. Das habe ich schon früher gemacht, und das ist es auch Einfach mit Blender, außer dass MBS das Ergebnis nicht akzeptiert. Mit Constraints funktioniert alles, aber MBS weiß nicht, was ein Constraint ist. Es kann mit Bones gemacht werden (obwohl das bei komplexeren Bewegungen schwierig ist). .), aber ich bevorzuge es, alles von Hand zu machen, in „Stop-Motion“-Manier. Nehmen Sie sich ein paar Tage Zeit und wir werden sehen, was ich mir einfallen lassen kann. (Ich muss noch einmal betonen, dass der ursprüngliche, statische Monoblock Modell ist nicht meins; es stammt von RigModels...)

Douglas

Wow Douglas, this is stunning. Yet again you've excelled yourself. I know you say there is still work to do, you mention centring the wheels. Will this then ensure the traction rods etc move rather than remaining static. Talking to Klaus that seems to be one of the most difficult elements to get right but overall the locomotive looks very impressive. You mentioned that the mono block came from Rig Models, might this be an issue getting this into the catalogue, is there any copyright infringements or is this likely to be a model for personal use only? What ever the outcome it's definitely a model for my layouts once it's finished.

Cheers

Pete

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

... and I suppose that a steam loco of the sort needs carriages to pull. I'll have to get going on these Stl files, then...

... und ich nehme an, dass eine solche Dampflok Waggons zum Ziehen braucht. Dann muss ich mit diesen Stl-Dateien loslegen ...

Coac_Stl.thumb.jpg.83711ee9d8697a8c29ec9ecf7735cd47.jpg

Douglas

Is there no end to your talents!!!

Cheers

Pete

2 minutes ago, 220hotwheels said:

... you mention centring the wheels. Will this then ensure the traction rods etc move rather than remaining static...

The centring is a minor detail, and the valve gear is not affected. I will move each piece of the gear, once I've rendered them independent, and move them to their relevant positions as the wheels turn, by hand. It's not difficult, but requires some concentration and patience, s'all, to get the pivot points in the right places, and gives me great insight as to the workings of these mechanical miracles.

Die Zentrierung ist ein kleines Detail und der Ventiltrieb wird nicht beeinträchtigt. Ich werde jedes Teil des Zahnrads bewegen, sobald ich es unabhängig gemacht habe, und es von Hand in die entsprechende Position bringen, während sich die Räder drehen. Es ist nicht schwierig, erfordert aber ein wenig Konzentration und Geduld, um die Drehpunkte an den richtigen Stellen zu platzieren, und gibt mir einen guten Einblick in die Funktionsweise dieser mechanischen Wunder.

You mentioned that the mono block came from Rig Models, might this be an issue getting this into the catalogue, is there any copyright infringements or is this likely to be a model for personal use only?

As I often mention, these are, by default, for my own personal use. It may be possible to contact the source and acquire permission (I did this for my horses, from TruMotion...), but I would leave that to others if inclusion in the Catalogue depends on that. I respect that, but I'm past the age of spending any of my time on such administration. Here, for information, is the License that came with the Scotsman download ...

Wie ich oft erwähne, sind diese standardmäßig für meinen persönlichen Gebrauch bestimmt. Möglicherweise ist es möglich, die Quelle zu kontaktieren und die Erlaubnis einzuholen (ich habe das für meine Pferde gemacht, von TruMotion...), aber ich würde das anderen überlassen, wenn die Aufnahme in den Katalog davon abhängt. Ich respektiere das, aber ich habe das Alter überschritten, in dem ich meine Zeit für eine solche Verwaltung aufwenden kann. Zur Information finden Sie hier die Lizenz, die mit dem Scotsman-Download geliefert wurde ...

'This model is free for Personal Use only (Students).

Any use in commercial subject requires a Premium membership on RigModels.com
https://rigmodels.com/premium.php

Visit us for new daily models:
https://rigmodels.com/'

What ever the outcome it's definitely a model for my layouts once it's finished.

I'll wait for the cheque, then..! :) :P

Cheers

Pete

Just now, 220hotwheels said:

Is there no end to your talents!!! ...

Be assured that there is quite definitely an end to my ((in sum very modest...) talents..! :$

Seien Sie versichert, dass meine (in der Summe sehr bescheidenen...) Talente definitiv ein Ende haben werden..! :$

I've corrected the wheels, and combined the Textures into Material that MBS accepts without complaint, so the loco and tender now have the mythical 'Green Tick' when imported. Before starting out on the valve gear, I'll try to assemble a coach or two; that should be quite a lot quicker.

Ich habe die Räder korrigiert und die Texturen zu Material kombiniert, das MBS ohne Beanstandung akzeptiert, sodass Lok und Tender jetzt beim Import das mythische „Grüne Häkchen“ haben. Bevor ich mit dem Ventiltrieb beginne, versuche ich, ein oder zwei Trainer zusammenzubauen; das dürfte um einiges schneller gehen.

Douglas

The coach is done, with animated doors; now on to the valve gear on the loco. A few snapshots..?

Die Kutsche ist fertig, mit animierten Türen; Nun zum Ventiltrieb der Lok. Ein paar Schnappschüsse..?

Flyi_Scot.thumb.jpg.2ec3d1593c4d01a9b4ed78fd6b5baebb.jpg

Coac.thumb.jpg.f1cde2b3f704bfdbcd0f9235a5704807.jpg

Doris.thumb.jpg.f20ba6e7dd4a6c977647826240ccc40f.jpg

I can put the loco, tender and coach into my Google Drive, as 'mbe', if anyone wants them in their present form, whilst waiting until I get the valve gear animated. They are all graced with the blessed 'green tick' in MBS, but I don't have permissions from the original modellers, so shan't be proposing these for the Catalogue. Back later with the valve gear done, I hope; meanwhile, enjoy, and...

Have a great day.

Ich kann die Lok, den Tender und den Wagen als „mbe“ in mein Google Drive einfügen, falls jemand sie in ihrer jetzigen Form haben möchte, während ich darauf warte, bis ich den Ventiltrieb animiert bekomme. Sie sind alle mit dem gesegneten „grünen Haken“ in MBS versehen, aber ich habe keine Genehmigung von den ursprünglichen Modellbauern, daher werde ich sie nicht für den Katalog vorschlagen. Ich hoffe, dass ich später mit fertigem Ventiltrieb zurückkomme; In der Zwischenzeit viel Spaß und...

Ich wünsche ihnen einen wunderbaren Tag.

Douglas

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

The coach is done, with animated doors; now on to the valve gear on the loco. A few snapshots..?

Die Kutsche ist fertig, mit animierten Türen; Nun zum Ventiltrieb der Lok. Ein paar Schnappschüsse..?

Flyi_Scot.thumb.jpg.2ec3d1593c4d01a9b4ed78fd6b5baebb.jpg

Coac.thumb.jpg.f1cde2b3f704bfdbcd0f9235a5704807.jpg

Doris.thumb.jpg.f20ba6e7dd4a6c977647826240ccc40f.jpg

I can put the loco, tender and coach into my Google Drive, as 'mbe', if anyone wants them in their present form, whilst waiting until I get the valve gear animated. They are all graced with the blessed 'green tick' in MBS, but I don't have permissions from the original modellers, so shan't be proposing these for the Catalogue. Back later with the valve gear done, I hope; meanwhile, enjoy, and...

Have a great day.

Ich kann die Lok, den Tender und den Wagen als „mbe“ in mein Google Drive einfügen, falls jemand sie in ihrer jetzigen Form haben möchte, während ich darauf warte, bis ich den Ventiltrieb animiert bekomme. Sie sind alle mit dem gesegneten „grünen Haken“ in MBS versehen, aber ich habe keine Genehmigung von den ursprünglichen Modellbauern, daher werde ich sie nicht für den Katalog vorschlagen. Ich hoffe, dass ich später mit fertigem Ventiltrieb zurückkomme; In der Zwischenzeit viel Spaß und...

Ich wünsche ihnen einen wunderbaren Tag.

Douglas

Hi Douglas

Looking good. Once the valve gear is finished, and don't forget The Flying Scotsman front name plate, it will be a brilliant model. Forgive my ignorance but as an *.mbe fiile will this transfer in the layout for others to see or will this produce the dreaded question mark?

Cheers

Pete

Current state of progress with the valve gear; the return cranks and expansion rods and links to come. It may not be worth doing all the other linkages; thoughts..?

Aktueller Stand des Ventiltriebs; Die Rücklaufkurbeln sowie die Expansionsstangen und -verbindungen werden folgen. Es lohnt sich möglicherweise nicht, alle anderen Verknüpfungen vorzunehmen. Gedanken..?

Douglas

Any model in a circuit has to be either in the Catalogue, or in one's own, personal, model catalogue. This means that, to distribute a layout with these models included, the 'mbe' file would have to be made available, too, or the giant 'question marks' will ensue.

Jedes Modell in einer Rennstrecke muss entweder im Katalog oder im eigenen, persönlichen Modellkatalog enthalten sein. Das bedeutet, dass zum Verteilen eines Layouts mit diesen Modellen auch die „mbe“-Datei zur Verfügung gestellt werden müsste, sonst würden die riesigen „Fragezeichen“ entstehen.

Bearbeitet von Dad3353

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Current state of progress with the valve gear; the return cranks and expansion rods and links to come. It may not be worth doing all the other linkages; thoughts..?

Aktueller Stand des Ventiltriebs; Die Rücklaufkurbeln sowie die Expansionsstangen und -verbindungen werden folgen. Es lohnt sich möglicherweise nicht, alle anderen Verknüpfungen vorzunehmen. Gedanken..?

Douglas

Sorry Douglas but my personal view would be to complete all of it. Total realism works best for me.

Cheers

Pete

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Douglas

Any model in a circuit has to be either in the Catalogue, or in one's own, personal, model catalogue. This means that, to distribute a layout with these models included, the 'mbe' file would have to be made available, too, or the giant 'question marks' will ensue.

Jedes Modell in einer Rennstrecke muss entweder im Katalog oder im eigenen, persönlichen Modellkatalog enthalten sein. Das bedeutet, dass zum Verteilen eines Layouts mit diesen Modellen auch die „mbe“-Datei zur Verfügung gestellt werden müsste, sonst würden die riesigen „Fragezeichen“ entstehen.

Thanks Douglas, I'm more than happy to include your brilliant models in my personal layouts.

Cheers

Pete