Scenery issues after upgrading to V6

Empfohlene Beiträge

Hi everyone

Since upgrading to V6 I have noticed that quite a large amount of my base scenery seems to have developed what I can only describe as cloud or misty blotches. This can be rectified by "repainting" but it is going to take several hours to put right. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Neo

I have attached 3 screenshots, I've removed all of the trees and shrubs to give a clearer view, which I hope will give you an idea of my issue. Putting it right is not really a problem, just a bit time consuming although everything that I do at the moment seems to be a work in progress and is therefore constantly being changed. I view it as part of the learning curve but to understand why things happens is perhaps more than half of the battle.

I await your views and recommendation.

Kind regards

Pete

Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot 2.jpg

Screenshot 3.jpg

Hi Neo

I have attached a copy of the backup of V5 taken on the 15th October and the latest one which is V6.

I don't seem able to open the V5 version as V5 it simply wants to convert to V6 so I cannot see myself the difference between the two versions. I just know that before V6 the base scenery was more normal.

Pete

Belfort.mbp Belfort.mbp

Sorry about that. The only backup copy I have that will run in V5 is one from the 01/07/20, one that you kindly repaired for me. All others have already been converted to V6.

Having looked at the attached copy from July I can see areas where the baseboard has not had the same degree of finished texture as in other areas but overall the effect is not as obvious as now.

It's as though the depth of texture has blurred. I am also finding when working in EV that it is taking much longer to select items from the data list with V6 

Kind regards

Pete

Belfort V5 for Neo dated 01_07_2020.mbp

vor 2 Stunden schrieb 220hotwheels:

I don't seem able to open the V5 version as V5 it simply wants to convert to V6

if you double click a layout file, it automatically opens the highest program version you have - i.e. V6 in your case.

If you start V5 first and then load your file from within the program, you can retain that version.
However - once you've exported a file using V6, you won't be able to load that export file with V5 anymore.
Make sure to load your original layout from the "my layout" section on the start page. That will always be your V5 version when you run V5.

Hi Goetz

Thanks for that. I've just tried it but because the latest version is V6 it won't let me open it in V5 and the only V5 version I have of this particular layout is back in July. That one I can load in V5. Clearly my backup process needs to be improved. What I should have done is keep the most recent V5 backup before converting to V6. We live and learn!!!

I've already started to touch up my V6 layout, whilst making some improvements to my EV. By the time V7 comes out I might have sorted and got to grips with V6.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

thank you for the V5 layout. If I remove all objects, I can see the gray spots in V5 too (V5 left, V6 right):

V1.thumb.jpg.7ed30277d69543cad53871376aaf546e.jpg

The reason the gray spots are more visible in V6 is called "gamma correction". Old versions prior V6 did not show colors the right way, why they were always a litte bit too dark. This error was corrected in V6. Have a look at this test scenary.

V2.thumb.jpg.c116e4138927e63c6364058a136d3215.jpg

At this layout, a pure white texture was simply added to the ground. In V5, a pure white was more a light gray, in V6, it is a real white.

You can remove all white/gray spots in your layout by just replacing the white texture with a darker texture:

Replace.jpg.9bae2bbe2c5b20a52729349ad18dca8d.jpg

Kind regards,

Neo

Hi Neo

Brilliant. That will be a lot quicker than my solution so many thanks for that and for the explanation. Is there a similar simple solution to the delay in selecting items from my database when working with EV. I have only just started to do additional work in this area setting up crane operations and noted that when selecting items it can take much longer for them to be selected than before. Is this down to the size of the data I have amassed? my layouts are not exactly small!!

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Pete,

vor 23 Minuten schrieb 220hotwheels:

when selecting items it can take much longer for them to be selected than before.

do you mean opening the selection windows (F3)? I can not see any differences here between V5 and V6, but for large layouts (~10,000 objects and more), it can take a litte time to open. I will improve the loading times in one of the next updates.

Kind regards,

Neo

Hi Neo

I have attached a screenshot which I hope explains. When I select target in order to choose the correct item it now seems to take much longer to select it than it did before, either that or I have got much more inpatient. Either way now I seem to have time for a sip of coffee and a bit of biscuit whereas before I struggled to get the sip of coffee!!

Kind regards

Pete

Screenshot 2020-10-29 08.37.46.jpg

Hi Neo

I hope the following info will help. I have three main layouts on the go. 

Fairmont - 2599 kb as mbp ( my first, started in V4 then moved to V5. Nothing much done on it for 9 months as fps too slow) the second is Belfort- 1904 kb (this one I am currently working on the most) fps not too bad seems better with V6 than in V5, the third is Portland - 1370 kb (very much at the early stages).

In V5 I have run all three layouts with the delay times after selecting an item of Fairmont 3 secs, Belfort 2 secs and Portland 1 sec.

In V6 from the example screen shot that I sent you the delay is 10 secs.

My only observation when comparing V5 and V6 is that V5 does not have the event "Train/Vehicle stops" which of course I am using in V6

I have run a similar test in V6 selecting something not covered by the "Train/vehicle stops" and the delay is usually about 3 secs.

If there is anything else that I can do to help to resolve this then just let me know.

Kind regards

Pete

Hi Hubert

Thanks for the nice comment. It is still very much a work in progress with considerable improvement needed in many areas, but then that's what this hobby is all about, you start simple, you have an idea and then you start to change it as you gain greater knowledge. I must admit that I have received a lot of help and guidance from Tom (Metallix) he has so far kept me on a reasonably straight path although I do tend to stray at times!!!!!

In the past I have never really got involved with forums, tending to keep myself very much to myself but I must admit that with this particular hobby the forum just draws you in. My main dilemma, apart from lack of time, is lack of knowledge and therefore lack of confidence. I read some of the questions and comments and feel as though I should be back at primary school, everyone seems to be so switched on with some of the terminology just going completely over my head. In time, no doubt, like most things you gain experience and knowledge and therefore feel confident to contribute more.

Cheers, stay safe in these trying times.

Pete

Pete, most important thing i guess is to allways use our imagination how things should or could be.

From there everything is possible. And whenever needed, the forum is here to help out !

A good thing is, we dont need glue and nails here...so itens can be taken out and replaced ! :D

Only the EV can be hard, for i got no clue what so ever on how to that.

With kind regards,

Hubert

Hi Hubert

You are absolutely right there. The delete button and copy and paste are far less harmful than a hammer, nails and glue. As with most things to do with computers though you need at least half a brain and sometimes I think mine's gone into hibernation!!!

Kind regards

Pete

Hi Hubert

Sie sind genau richtig. Die Löschtaste und Kopieren und Einfügen sind weit weniger schädlich als ein Hammer, Nägel und Kleber. Wie bei den meisten Dingen, die mit Computern zu tun haben, obwohl du mindestens ein halbes Gehirn brauchst und manchmal denke ich, dass ich in den Winterschlaf gegangen bin!!!

Herzliche Grüße

Pete