Empfohlene Beiträge

Hi Eric

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Eric Lord:

would it possible to access the same layout on both a PC and a Laptop

Only if you publish it, thereby transferring it to the server.
That file may then be accessed from the "online catalog" submenu on the start page.

An alternative is that you export your layout to a .mbs file and copy that file to your laptop prior to your journey.

Greets
Goetz

Bearbeitet von Goetz

actually yes, yes it is.  but...   only one computer at a time.       You have to have a local area network, which would be created by a router.    Both computers must be on, and connected to the network.   You create a shared drive on one (It really only has to be one folder) and make that folder available to the network, say as Z:  

now, place your data into the folder and set the path

data.thumb.jpg.6513de471c1b49d1f7f33acf1ad4a2cb.jpg

example Z:3D-Modelbahn Studio V6\Catalog and both computers will look here for their data files

The first computer to access the data will lock the files, but they unlock when you exit the program.

Thank you, Curt.

Does this mean that with my layout being on my home PC after I have created a folder on the laptop any work done whilst out and about will then transfer back to my home PC and update the layout there?

Please bear with me as all this I new to me and I am now in my mid 70s.

Eric

9 hours ago, Eric Lord said:

Thank you, Curt.

Does this mean that with my layout being on my home PC after I have created a folder on the laptop any work done whilst out and about will then transfer back to my home PC and update the layout there?

Please bear with me as all this I new to me and I am now in my mid 70s.

Eric

close, but not quite.  bear with me as I create the images for the explanation soon to follow.

Here are the basics of how folders and data are shared on a network.

968920707_physicallayer.thumb.jpg.3ca4a9ee4aea95fd5e1840524cbe3c26.jpg

This is a simple network with 2 computers and a router.  While connected to the same network, both computers can use the same data, but only one at a time.

2028383776_Networklayer.thumb.jpg.7ca077a66c0f5dfbac0b2e72120d249d.jpg

Here, the Laptop (While connected to the network) sends information that a folder on it's hard drive can be read by and written to by other computers on the network.

The other computer must be setup to read this data (Once)

984317737_MyNetwork.thumb.jpg.edb3190a3708cba27585ad574ece2d85.jpg

Here, We are looking at the Network from within Windows 10.  Desktop-9KTF1H9 can be seen, because it is the local computer.  Other computers will not see it, unless it has something to share.  Below this computer (Expanded) are the folders that have been marked to share.  below that are my router, and my Roku.

(to be continued)

Curt that's brilliant thanks very much.

Once I have seen the "to be continued" I will give it a try.

This may be anytime up to a week as I am supposed to be getting my daughter's old laptop and time-wise how long is a ball of string.

I will keep you posted when this all happens.

Thanks again,

Eric

Hi Curt,

I also wondered about space on one-time as my daughter has had trouble storing photos and music on there because of lack of space.

Please carry on with "to be continued".

As Thomas has kindly replied with a solution then I will try both methods and then use the one which I prefer.

Eric

Hi Thomas,

I now have Box installed as well as 3d-M on both PCs.

Now some questions.

1. How do I put a layout into Box?

2.Do I then have to move the layout from Box into 3d -M on the other computer and if so then how do I do it?

3. If this is the case then do I have to reverse the procedure after any extra layout work done?

Thanks again,

Eric

Hi Eric,

vor einer Stunde schrieb Eric Lord:

How do I put a layout into Box?

As @Curt84328 explained before, select the "settings" menu from the start page of your studio

840355884_savefolder1.jpg.8c9e0d6a4ac0f935a925dd682b87ea2d.jpg

In the settings menu, locate the "database" section and change the "save" destination to your drop box folder.

1363146821_savefolder2.jpg.b495496d5df566be5f8e8da7220ef221.jpg

You may want to ask someone local (e.g. friend, relative) with more experience in computer related stuff, to help you setting this up.

As I stated before, it would be much easier for you to simply publish your layout and open it from the online catalog when you're on your other computer.
Why everyone ignores this easy solution and leads you up the garden path and around the bend with other, more difficult suggestions, I don't know.

Greets
Goetz

Hi Goetz,

Thanks for your reply, if I publish my layout to the online catalogue who can see it?

Can you please tell me how to go about doing this perhaps as a numbered system eg?

1234 and so on, as this will help me enormously, there is no panic for doing this as I am going back to the eye hospital tomorrow and will be offline for 1 or 2 days.

Thanks again,

Eric

Hi Eric,

when you publish your layout, it's visible for everyone. But no one except you can alter it.

The menu option is called "Save and share".

1361539505_saveandshare1.jpg.88a705a12255321bc794760443a36ef1.jpg

You may then select an apt category.
Read the "Layouts to extend" category as "work in progress":

327808275_saveandshare2.jpg.d5376c46267515a96bf60beacadbcdae.jpg

Next, you'll be asked for a file name and a description.
The description is optional. But if you want to invite others to have a go with your layout, you may add some useful background info here.

Click on "next" one mor time and your layout is saved and published.
And that's all there's to it.

You may overwrite your shared layout anytime you make changes to it. Simply use "Save and share" again and keep the file name the same. You may do so from either of your two computers, because with the same login data, you'll be recognised as the same person. The one and only owner of this layout.

There's no need to hide, regardless what you're building.
But if you're very shy, you may opt for the "upload as draft" option (see second screenshot, bottom left corner).
When that is selected, one can only find this layout via it's unique content ID.

If I were you, I'd share the layout openly, because it makes finding it from the other computer so much more comfortable.

hope that helps?

Kind regards
Goetz

Hi Goetz

Thanks for doing this for me it looks straight forward to do so I think that this is the way to go.

It will be a few weeks before I do this as I have started from scratch and once I have my tracks in place then it will be done.

So keep your eye open for the big reveal, then I will start on my landscape.

Eric

On 4/29/2021 at 7:43 PM, Goetz said:

Hi Eric,

when you publish your layout, it's visible for everyone. But no one except you can alter it.

The menu option is called "Save and share".

1361539505_saveandshare1.jpg.88a705a12255321bc794760443a36ef1.jpg

You may then select an apt category.
Read the "Layouts to extend" category as "work in progress":

327808275_saveandshare2.jpg.d5376c46267515a96bf60beacadbcdae.jpg

Next, you'll be asked for a file name and a description.
The description is optional. But if you want to invite others to have a go with your layout, you may add some useful background info here.

Click on "next" one mor time and your layout is saved and published.
And that's all there's to it.

You may overwrite your shared layout anytime you make changes to it. Simply use "Save and share" again and keep the file name the same. You may do so from either of your two computers, because with the same login data, you'll be recognised as the same person. The one and only owner of this layout.

There's no need to hide, regardless what you're building.
But if you're very shy, you may opt for the "upload as draft" option (see second screenshot, bottom left corner).
When that is selected, one can only find this layout via it's unique content ID.

If I were you, I'd share the layout openly, because it makes finding it from the other computer so much more comfortable.

hope that helps?

Kind regards
Goetz

Hello, just a question, I used this way. But Tutorial layouts is not there for me. 
Can somebody give a little explanation for the box, upload as a draft ..

Greetings,

Herman