Testing Road Routes (they're new to me...)...

Empfohlene Beiträge

I know they've been available for quite some time now, but this is my first attempt to understand and use them, on road layouts. To this end, I have a simple test layout, attached below...
I have not found much information at all on this subject, as most is based on rail use, so my questions may be rather ignorant, so apologies in advance. Here's my first issue...
I have set up a series of destinations for a Bus on my layout; each contact point (CP...) sends the Bus to its next Waypoint (WP...). Once at the End, the Bus is sent to the Start, to start the whole train of events again. From the Start, the first destination (WP 1...) is reached by passing over the CP for WP 3, which is triggered, and sends the Bus to End. I've tried to make the CP understand that there is a Condition, that if the Bus is on its way to WP1, let it continue, otherwise, set to End. It doesn't seem to work; I obviously have not understood something.
How may the Bus pass over a CP and not have its Route changed if the condition is not met, please..?

Ich weiß, dass sie schon seit geraumer Zeit verfügbar sind, aber dies ist mein erster Versuch, sie zu verstehen und auf Straßenplänen anzuwenden. Zu diesem Zweck habe ich ein einfaches Testlayout, das unten beigefügt ist ...
Ich habe zu diesem Thema überhaupt nicht viele Informationen gefunden, da sich die meisten auf die Nutzung der Schiene beziehen, sodass meine Fragen möglicherweise eher unwissend sind. Ich entschuldige mich daher im Voraus. Hier ist meine erste Ausgabe...
Ich habe auf meiner Anlage eine Reihe von Zielen für einen Bus eingerichtet; Jeder Kontaktpunkt (CP...) sendet den Bus zu seinem nächsten Wegpunkt (WP...). Am Ende angekommen wird der Bus zum Start geschickt, um den gesamten Ablauf der Ereignisse erneut zu starten. Vom Start aus wird das erste Ziel (WP 1...) erreicht, indem der CP für WP 3 überfahren wird, der ausgelöst wird und den Bus zum Ende sendet. Ich habe versucht, dem CP klarzumachen, dass es eine Bedingung gibt: Wenn der Bus auf dem Weg zu WP1 ist, soll er weiterfahren, andernfalls wird er auf Ende gesetzt. Es scheint nicht zu funktionieren; Ich habe offensichtlich etwas nicht verstanden.
Wie kann der Bus über einen CP fahren, ohne dass seine Route geändert wird, wenn die Bedingung nicht erfüllt ist?

Douglas

_Test_Facility for Road Routes 02.mbp

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I know they've been available for quite some time now, but this is my first attempt to understand and use them, on road layouts. To this end, I have a simple test layout, attached below...
I have not found much information at all on this subject, as most is based on rail use, so my questions may be rather ignorant, so apologies in advance. Here's my first issue...
I have set up a series of destinations for a Bus on my layout; each contact point (CP...) sends the Bus to its next Waypoint (WP...). Once at the End, the Bus is sent to the Start, to start the whole train of events again. From the Start, the first destination (WP 1...) is reached by passing over the CP for WP 3, which is triggered, and sends the Bus to End. I've tried to make the CP understand that there is a Condition, that if the Bus is on its way to WP1, let it continue, otherwise, set to End. It doesn't seem to work; I obviously have not understood something.
How may the Bus pass over a CP and not have its Route changed if the condition is not met, please..?

Ich weiß, dass sie schon seit geraumer Zeit verfügbar sind, aber dies ist mein erster Versuch, sie zu verstehen und auf Straßenplänen anzuwenden. Zu diesem Zweck habe ich ein einfaches Testlayout, das unten beigefügt ist ...
Ich habe zu diesem Thema überhaupt nicht viele Informationen gefunden, da sich die meisten auf die Nutzung der Schiene beziehen, sodass meine Fragen möglicherweise eher unwissend sind. Ich entschuldige mich daher im Voraus. Hier ist meine erste Ausgabe...
Ich habe auf meiner Anlage eine Reihe von Zielen für einen Bus eingerichtet; Jeder Kontaktpunkt (CP...) sendet den Bus zu seinem nächsten Wegpunkt (WP...). Am Ende angekommen wird der Bus zum Start geschickt, um den gesamten Ablauf der Ereignisse erneut zu starten. Vom Start aus wird das erste Ziel (WP 1...) erreicht, indem der CP für WP 3 überfahren wird, der ausgelöst wird und den Bus zum Ende sendet. Ich habe versucht, dem CP klarzumachen, dass es eine Bedingung gibt: Wenn der Bus auf dem Weg zu WP1 ist, soll er weiterfahren, andernfalls wird er auf Ende gesetzt. Es scheint nicht zu funktionieren; Ich habe offensichtlich etwas nicht verstanden.
Wie kann der Bus über einen CP fahren, ohne dass seine Route geändert wird, wenn die Bedingung nicht erfüllt ist?

Douglas

_Test_Facility for Road Routes 02.mbp 18.66 kB · 1 download

Hi Douglas

I'm not sure if the attached helps but your bus should complete it's route successfully, I hope. There is another option if you need to stick to your precis route.

Cheers

Pete

test layout for road routes.mbp

vor einer Stunde schrieb Dad3353:

I obviously have not understood something.

Actually, you've understood the lot very well, Doug.
Only snag: The bus isn't headed for Waypoint 1 when it comes from the Start and (by chance!) chooses to go to Waypoint 1 via Waypoint 3. 
Because "is headed for" doesn't check it's destination. It checks what lies (immediately) ahead of the bus.

My suggestion: Drop the second condition.
Instead, deactivate the event for Waypoint 3 in the event for waypoint Start
and activate it in the event for Waypoint 2

Mind that this only works with a single bus, though.
Two buses running the same route at offset intervals require a "flag" (a boolean variable) to distinguish case A from case B

I hope that helps?
Goetz

Hello @Dad3353,

On second thought:

Your condition in the EV is not what you thought it was (as stated above) and you can't set the desired condition in the graphical EV.
But you can switch your condition to a line of Lua script, which does precisely what you're after:

return $("Post Bus").target == $("PostBus Waypoint 1")

And when you change your current "is headed for" condition to Lua, you can spot the difference:

return $("Post Bus"):isHeadingToward($("PostBus Waypoint 1"))

Here is the altered layout for you:

_Test_Facility for Road Routes 02 suggestion.mbp

Goetz

2 hours ago, 220hotwheels said:

... I'm not sure if the attached helps but your bus should complete it's route successfully ...

Pete...

I see that your solution has worked, in that the offending CP is no longer triggered, but, firstly, I have no idea how you got that new route to come into being, and, secondly, it would all be for nothing if that CP was, for any reason, triggered later. I don't really need the Bus to get to WP1; I really need to understand why the CP didn't obey what I thought was a valid instruction. Our friend Goetz has replied, with an explanation and a cure, which works well, but stimulates further questions which I'll bother him with.
I'd like to know, just the same, what you did (in words of less than one syllable, please...) to establish that new route, and wonder what, if anything, those extra CP that have appeared are for. I knew that there would be a 'learning curve' to this 'Routes' novelty; I didn't expect it to be quite so opaque, though. More stuff to ruminate; it's all good for the little grey cells, I'm told. Thanks; onward and upward...

Ich sehe, dass Ihre Lösung funktioniert hat, da der betreffende CP nicht mehr ausgelöst wird, aber erstens habe ich keine Ahnung, wie Sie diese neue Route zustande gebracht haben, und zweitens wäre alles umsonst, wenn dieser CP wurde aus irgendeinem Grund später ausgelöst. Ich brauche den Bus nicht wirklich, um zu WP1 zu gelangen; Ich muss wirklich verstehen, warum der CP einer meiner Meinung nach gültigen Anweisung nicht Folge geleistet hat. Unser Freund Goetz hat geantwortet, mit einer Erklärung und einem Heilmittel, was gut funktioniert, aber weitere Fragen anregt, mit denen ich ihn belästigen werde.
Ich würde trotzdem gerne wissen, was Sie getan haben (bitte in Worten mit weniger als einer Silbe ...), um diese neue Route zu etablieren, und frage mich, wozu die zusätzlichen CP, die aufgetaucht sind, wenn überhaupt, dienen. Ich wusste, dass es bei dieser „Routen“-Neuheit eine „Lernkurve“ geben würde; Allerdings hätte ich nicht erwartet, dass es so undurchsichtig ist. Mehr Dinge zum Grübeln; Es sei alles gut für die kleinen grauen Zellen, wurde mir gesagt. Danke; vorwärts und aufwärts...

Douglas

19 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Pete...

I see that your solution has worked, in that the offending CP is no longer triggered, but, firstly, I have no idea how you got that new route to come into being, and, secondly, it would all be for nothing if that CP was, for any reason, triggered later. I don't really need the Bus to get to WP1; I really need to understand why the CP didn't obey what I thought was a valid instruction. Our friend Goetz has replied, with an explanation and a cure, which works well, but stimulates further questions which I'll bother him with.
I'd like to know, just the same, what you did (in words of less than one syllable, please...) to establish that new route, and wonder what, if anything, those extra CP that have appeared are for. I knew that there would be a 'learning curve' to this 'Routes' novelty; I didn't expect it to be quite so opaque, though. More stuff to ruminate; it's all good for the little grey cells, I'm told. Thanks; onward and upward...

Ich sehe, dass Ihre Lösung funktioniert hat, da der betreffende CP nicht mehr ausgelöst wird, aber erstens habe ich keine Ahnung, wie Sie diese neue Route zustande gebracht haben, und zweitens wäre alles umsonst, wenn dieser CP wurde aus irgendeinem Grund später ausgelöst. Ich brauche den Bus nicht wirklich, um zu WP1 zu gelangen; Ich muss wirklich verstehen, warum der CP einer meiner Meinung nach gültigen Anweisung nicht Folge geleistet hat. Unser Freund Goetz hat geantwortet, mit einer Erklärung und einem Heilmittel, was gut funktioniert, aber weitere Fragen anregt, mit denen ich ihn belästigen werde.
Ich würde trotzdem gerne wissen, was Sie getan haben (bitte in Worten mit weniger als einer Silbe ...), um diese neue Route zu etablieren, und frage mich, wozu die zusätzlichen CP, die aufgetaucht sind, wenn überhaupt, dienen. Ich wusste, dass es bei dieser „Routen“-Neuheit eine „Lernkurve“ geben würde; Allerdings hätte ich nicht erwartet, dass es so undurchsichtig ist. Mehr Dinge zum Grübeln; Es sei alles gut für die kleinen grauen Zellen, wurde mir gesagt. Danke; vorwärts und aufwärts...

Douglas

Hi Douglas

I added the two extra CP's to provide continuity for the full route. I then set the bus at the start and set the route from there to waypoint 1, 2 3 end and the back to the start but used the new CP at the back of the start point to finish the route. Once you set the bus in motion it follows your EV. I hope that is sufficiently clear. If not then I'll sort out a more meaningful explanation tomorrow morning, I'm tied up now for the evening.

Cheers

Pete

2 hours ago, Goetz said:

... Here is the altered layout for you: ...

Many thanks for that; it certainly works, and makes (some...) sense, too. I suppose it's a 'train' thing, the notion of 'heading towards', or an odd translation; I'm not sure what it means in a Road network context, where the 'target' notion is pretty clear. A bit odd that the 'target' is not a graphic EV option, but... whatever.
I'm surprised, too, at the notion of 'by coincidence' that the Bus travelled that route, triggering the CP. There are other ways to get to WP1; is this another example of 'AI' behaviour doing strange things, or was it really just a bit of luck that it happened, and that I noticed it..?
Incidentally, I had already found an issue running two buses on the layout, which is why I put a condition in all of the CP. I removed the second Bus for the example sent, as it might have caused confusion, but the goal will be to have many more vehicles, in an urban landscape, so I really will have to understand what I'm doing. This means that there are probably going to be several more 'daft' questions from me on this subject, until I finally feel that I know what's going on. For reference, I'm converting a layout ('3 Stationen Anlage' by Marcus Meier, from 2019...) that I had already used, laying tracks for vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians, with working pedestrian zebra crossings...). I've converted all of the static roads to modern, active ones, and now wish to have road traffic using Routes. It's far too complex to learn this on this layout, which is why I created the 'Test' circuit. It's looking good, so far.
Thanks again for the assistance.

Vielen Dank dafür; Es funktioniert auf jeden Fall und macht (einige...) auch Sinn. Ich nehme an, es ist eine Sache mit dem „Zug“, der Begriff „in Richtung fahren“ oder eine seltsame Übersetzung; Ich bin mir nicht sicher, was es im Zusammenhang mit dem Straßennetz bedeutet, wo der Begriff „Ziel“ ziemlich klar ist. Etwas seltsam, dass das „Ziel“ keine grafische EV-Option ist, aber... was auch immer.
Ich bin auch überrascht über die Vorstellung, dass der Bus „zufällig“ diese Strecke gefahren ist und den CP ausgelöst hat. Es gibt andere Möglichkeiten, zu WP1 zu gelangen; Ist das ein weiteres Beispiel dafür, dass „KI“ seltsame Dinge tut, oder war es wirklich nur ein bisschen Glück, dass es passiert ist und ich es bemerkt habe?
Übrigens hatte ich bereits ein Problem beim Betrieb von zwei Bussen auf der Anlage festgestellt, weshalb ich im gesamten CP eine Bedingung gesetzt habe. Ich habe den zweiten Bus für das gesendete Beispiel entfernt, da er möglicherweise Verwirrung gestiftet hätte, aber das Ziel wird sein, viel mehr Fahrzeuge in einer städtischen Landschaft zu haben, also muss ich wirklich verstehen, was ich tue. Das bedeutet, dass ich wahrscheinlich noch einige weitere „blöde“ Fragen zu diesem Thema stellen werde, bis ich endlich das Gefühl habe, dass ich weiß, was los ist. Als Referenz konvertiere ich eine Anlage („3 Stationen Anlage“ von Marcus Meier, aus dem Jahr 2019...), die ich bereits verwendet hatte, mit Gleisen für Fahrzeuge, Fahrräder und Fußgänger, mit funktionierenden Zebrastreifen für Fußgänger...). Ich habe alle statischen Straßen in moderne, aktive Straßen umgewandelt und möchte nun den Straßenverkehr über Routen nutzen. Es ist viel zu komplex, dies auf diesem Layout zu lernen, weshalb ich die „Test“-Schaltung erstellt habe. Bisher sieht es gut aus.
Nochmals vielen Dank für die Hilfe.

Douglas

Hello Doug,

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Dad3353:

I suppose it's a 'train' thing, the notion of 'heading towards'

No, it isn't. Nor is it an odd translation.
There are situations where you want to know which contact is in front of you, independant from the vehicle's target point.
And that's what this condition is for.

A bit odd that the 'target' is not a graphic EV option, but...

Neo is adament to keep the number of options in the graphic EV low, because it's harder to find anything when everything is available.
And when users reach a point where they want to control more complex scenarios, Lua shouldn't be too big a hurdle anymore.

The downside to this is that no two people will aggree on what is a basic command and what's advanced stuff.

Neo's approach is to monitor requestes here in the forum. And he never shys away from making changes where they deem appropriate.

I'm surprised, too, at the notion of 'by coincidence' that the Bus travelled that route

There are four possible routes to waypoint 1, all of equal length. None of them has any advantage over the other two.
And the contents of a table (here: a table of possible routes to chose from) is not ordered in any way. That's one difference between a table and a list.
Thus the choice made will be random. If you want to gain more control, add a waypoint somewhere in between that leaves only one option.

On another topic, you may assign a list of waypoints instead of just a single object. This allows you to set the entire route at the starting point.

waypointlist.thumb.jpg.ce3ee142999d67fbf8ecb171aea2fa9c.jpg

No need for further checks at the various stops. And when you reach the End, assign the Start as your next stop, from where the cycle may begin anew.

Your demo layout with this principle:

_Test_Facility for Road Routes 02 suggestion B.mbp

the goal will be to have many more vehicles

and with the approach I suggested in my previous posting, that's covered.
The Lua condition evaluates the vehicle's target.
That should be sufficient to differentiate for each caller, if he's supposed to turn this way or that.

several more 'daft' questions from me on this subject

are welcome and I'll do my best to help.

Goetz

Bearbeitet von Goetz

33 minutes ago, Goetz said:

... No, it isn't. Nor is it an odd translation...

Thanks for the above; it all helps. I was getting ready to punch the screen when I saw that the Bus now does NOT pass over the offending CP, and so the anomaly disappears. It seems that it was, indeed, just luck that the route passed that point.
Not helped by my MBS icon bars (top and bottom...) now hide themselves, and only come back when I bring the mouse to upper or lower screen. I presume this to be an option that I've been unlucky enough to trigger; I don't know how to stop it, and have the icons permanently visible. When I select a CP, for instance, I need to know its name, but can't see it if the icon bar is hidden. All these years and I've never come across this.
I'll create new routes, using the 'all at once' principle once I regain control of the PC. I've so much to learn, here. Not a problem; that's why I do this stuff..!

Vielen Dank für das oben Gesagte; es hilft alles. Ich wollte gerade auf den Bildschirm tippen, als ich sah, dass der Bus jetzt NICHT über den fehlerhaften CP fährt und die Anomalie verschwindet. Es scheint, dass es tatsächlich reines Glück war, dass die Route diesen Punkt passierte.
Das hat auch nicht geholfen, denn meine MBS-Symbolleisten (oben und unten...) verstecken sich jetzt selbst und kehren erst wieder zurück, wenn ich die Maus auf den oberen oder unteren Bildschirm bewege. Ich gehe davon aus, dass es sich hierbei um eine Option handelt, die ich unglücklicherweise auslösen konnte. Ich weiß nicht, wie ich es stoppen kann und die Symbole dauerhaft sichtbar sind. Wenn ich beispielsweise einen CP auswähle, muss ich seinen Namen kennen, kann ihn aber nicht sehen, wenn die Symbolleiste ausgeblendet ist. In all den Jahren ist mir das noch nie begegnet.
Sobald ich wieder die Kontrolle über den PC habe, werde ich nach dem Prinzip „Alles auf einmal“ neue Routen erstellen. Ich habe hier so viel zu lernen. Kein Problem; Deshalb mache ich dieses Zeug..!

Douglas

22 minutes ago, Phrontistes said:

Screenshot2024-04-15224126.jpg.ce2057f56be2f41ca91ced4acde39ae0.jpg

:)

Kind regards

Phrontistes

I'll buy you a drink when we next meet (I hope you like tea..?). B|

Wenn wir uns das nächste Mal treffen, spendiere ich dir etwas zu trinken (ich hoffe, du magst Tee...?). B|

It's becoming a bit more limpid, thanks to the excellent advice and comments so far. A few more mysteries, though, seen in the nxt version of this test layout, attached...

1 - Why does Bus3 not pick up its Route from its start point, at 3_1..? If I give it the Route manually, from this same place, it is accepted, but the CP does not attribute the Route. Why is it any different to the two other Bus start points at 1_1 and 2_1..?

2 - The Route from 3_1 to 3_2 passes necessarily by way of 3_6; this triggers a redirection back to 3_1. As this Bus3_Route is set in a List, I do not have the option of testing the Bus Target. How should this be treated..? Would this involve creation of a more complex Lua script..?

3 - Why do all of the vehicles halt when any Bus reaches its destination, and then start again after this pause..? Is this normal, or is there something hidden I've not seen causing this..?

It's all making more sense now, and the List notion makes things much easier. Nevertheless, I don't doubt that there are many more details and pitfalls ahead. Thanks in advance for illumination; meanwhile...

Have a splendid day

Dank der bisherigen hervorragenden Ratschläge und Kommentare wird es etwas klarer. Es gibt jedoch noch ein paar weitere Geheimnisse, die in der nächsten Version dieses Testlayouts zu sehen sind, beigefügt ...

1 - Warum holt Bus3 seine Route nicht von seinem Startpunkt bei 3_1 ab? Wenn ich ihm die Route manuell von demselben Ort aus gebe, wird sie akzeptiert, aber der CP weist die Route nicht zu. Warum unterscheidet es sich von den beiden anderen Busstartpunkten bei 1_1 und 2_1?

2 – Die Route von 3_1 nach 3_2 führt zwangsläufig über 3_6; Dies löst eine Umleitung zurück zu 3_1 aus. Da diese Bus3_Route in einer Liste festgelegt ist, habe ich keine Möglichkeit, das Busziel zu testen. Wie soll das behandelt werden? Würde dies die Erstellung eines komplexeren Lua-Skripts erfordern?

3 - Warum halten alle Fahrzeuge an, wenn ein Bus sein Ziel erreicht, und fahren nach dieser Pause wieder los? Ist das normal oder gibt es etwas Verborgenes, das dies verursacht, was ich nicht gesehen habe?

Jetzt ergibt alles mehr Sinn und die List-Idee macht die Sache viel einfacher. Dennoch zweifle ich nicht daran, dass noch viele weitere Details und Fallstricke auf uns zukommen. Vielen Dank im Voraus für die Aufklärung; in der Zwischenzeit...

Ich wünsche Ihnen einen wunderschönen Tag

Douglas

_Test_Facility for Road Routes 03.mbp

Hello @Dad3353

Listen hierbei einzusetzen ist nicht immer sinnvoll.
Der PC benötigt viel Zeit, um die Routen zu berechnen, da er für jedes Ziel 5 Möglichkeiten in betracht zieht.
Das ist der Grund, das alle Busse an einem Startpunkt kurz "warten".

Hier ein alternativer Vorschlag mit nur einem Ereignis für alle 3 Routen.
Die Fahrwege sind ein klein wenig geändert, damit nicht ein zukünftiger  Haltepunkt  zwischen dem nächsten Ziel liegt.

Using lists here doesn't always make sense.
The PC needs a lot of time to calculate the routes because it considers 5 possibilities for each destination.
This is the reason that all buses “wait” briefly at a starting point.

Screenshot2024-04-16092255.thumb.jpg.b0d0c2d20c5bc927d76f860f8198ab8c.jpg

Here is an alternative suggestion with just one event for all 3 routes.
The routes have been changed a little so that there is no future stopping point between the next destination.

_Test_Facility for Road Routes 03_alternativ.mbp

VG,

Hawkeye

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

It's becoming a bit more limpid, thanks to the excellent advice and comments so far. A few more mysteries, though, seen in the nxt version of this test layout, attached...

1 - Why does Bus3 not pick up its Route from its start point, at 3_1..? If I give it the Route manually, from this same place, it is accepted, but the CP does not attribute the Route. Why is it any different to the two other Bus start points at 1_1 and 2_1..?

2 - The Route from 3_1 to 3_2 passes necessarily by way of 3_6; this triggers a redirection back to 3_1. As this Bus3_Route is set in a List, I do not have the option of testing the Bus Target. How should this be treated..? Would this involve creation of a more complex Lua script..?

3 - Why do all of the vehicles halt when any Bus reaches its destination, and then start again after this pause..? Is this normal, or is there something hidden I've not seen causing this..?

It's all making more sense now, and the List notion makes things much easier. Nevertheless, I don't doubt that there are many more details and pitfalls ahead. Thanks in advance for illumination; meanwhile...

Have a splendid day

Dank der bisherigen hervorragenden Ratschläge und Kommentare wird es etwas klarer. Es gibt jedoch noch ein paar weitere Geheimnisse, die in der nächsten Version dieses Testlayouts zu sehen sind, beigefügt ...

1 - Warum holt Bus3 seine Route nicht von seinem Startpunkt bei 3_1 ab? Wenn ich ihm die Route manuell von demselben Ort aus gebe, wird sie akzeptiert, aber der CP weist die Route nicht zu. Warum unterscheidet es sich von den beiden anderen Busstartpunkten bei 1_1 und 2_1?

2 – Die Route von 3_1 nach 3_2 führt zwangsläufig über 3_6; Dies löst eine Umleitung zurück zu 3_1 aus. Da diese Bus3_Route in einer Liste festgelegt ist, habe ich keine Möglichkeit, das Busziel zu testen. Wie soll das behandelt werden? Würde dies die Erstellung eines komplexeren Lua-Skripts erfordern?

3 - Warum halten alle Fahrzeuge an, wenn ein Bus sein Ziel erreicht, und fahren nach dieser Pause wieder los? Ist das normal oder gibt es etwas Verborgenes, das dies verursacht, was ich nicht gesehen habe?

Jetzt ergibt alles mehr Sinn und die List-Idee macht die Sache viel einfacher. Dennoch zweifle ich nicht daran, dass noch viele weitere Details und Fallstricke auf uns zukommen. Vielen Dank im Voraus für die Aufklärung; in der Zwischenzeit...

Ich wünsche Ihnen einen wunderschönen Tag

Douglas

_Test_Facility for Road Routes 03.mbp 20.11 kB · 3 downloads

Hi Douglas

I've redone your layout in it's simplest form to hopefully show you how the road routes work. I've removed your EV and just set the 3 actual routes. Each bus will now run from the start and end at the final stop, the black CP. To get this to run automatically just add a start and stop instruction in your EV, I've done one as an example with bus 1. The main thing to remember with road routes is that a vehicle can only pass over each part of the route once and that all CP's must be set on the correct side of the road and pointing in the right direction for each route. Some of your CP's were on the wrong side of the road.

Perhaps my way of setting routes is too simplistic but thus far it works well for me, and I have some quite complex routes on my layouts. Just remember that if you introduce multiple junctions then before you can set your route you will need to make sure that all junctions are set for your intended route, after that it's a piece of cake, so to speak.

Any questions then feel free to ask.

Enjoy your day.

Cheers

Pete

test layout for road routes3a.mbp

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Dad3353:

3 - Why do all of the vehicles halt when any Bus reaches its destination, and then start again after this pause..?

When I opened your new test facility, I noticed that bus 3 had no route assigned.
I moved the bus to a place before waypoint 3_1 and when the bus hit that waypoint, everything came to a halt. When the layout ran again, bus 3 was still without a route.

This suggests that route finding took very long and eventually failed.

Please understand that every fork in the road presents the route finder with two options. Thus the number of options increases twofold with every additional fork. The maximum number of forks between your location and the next target is seven. This is to prevent the computer from getting stuck in a route finding routine with too many possibilities.

The key to assigning routes in a swift and effective manner is in strategic positioning of your waypoints. Present the route finder with fewer options to speed things up.

@Hawkeye and @220hotwheels came up with two good alternatives.

Goetz

Geschrieben (bearbeitet)

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. What have I started..? I must thank you ( @Hawkeye, @220hotwheels, @Goetz...) for your patience and replies. I have, now, a bigger problem : I have looked at the solutions offered above, and understand absolutely nothing of how these work..! I see that they do, indeed, make the buses go from WP to WP, but how I could do this on my own, I have no idea. It looks very much like Black Magic; I see no Events, no Routes, no method from Step 1 (bare layout, with 1 bus...), Step 2, decide where Bus1 has to go, Step 3 how to get it there, Step 4 where to go next, Step 5 how to get it there, Step 6, how to get it back to Step 1 to start again. My apologies for being the idiot in the corner who didn't pay attention (too busy fiddling around with animations...), but I've certainly 'missed the bus' when it comes to these Routes.
@220hotwheels : Pete, I didn't understand your comment on 'right side of the road' for the WP; surely it's for the bus to do whatever it takes to approach the WP from whatever side it's on..? It'll make more sense to me once I understand how you do this, of course, but I'll have to start again, with an empty layout, and one bus, to go from A, to B, to C and back to A. Now, where did I put that Magic Wand..? Hmm... This might take some time...

Oh je, oh je, oh je. Was habe ich angefangen? Ich muss Ihnen ( @Hawkeye, @220hotwheels, @Goetz...) für Ihre Geduld und Antworten danken. Ich habe jetzt ein größeres Problem: Ich habe mir die oben angebotenen Lösungen angesehen und verstehe absolut nichts davon, wie diese funktionieren..! Ich sehe, dass sie die Busse tatsächlich von WP zu WP fahren lassen, aber wie ich das alleine schaffen könnte, weiß ich nicht. Es sieht Black Magic sehr ähnlich; Ich sehe keine Ereignisse, keine Routen, keine Methode aus Schritt 1 (nacktes Layout, mit 1 Bus...), Schritt 2, entscheiden, wohin Bus1 fahren muss, Schritt 3, wie man ihn dorthin bringt, Schritt 4, wohin als nächstes gehen soll, Schritt 5, wie man es dorthin bringt, Schritt 6, wie man es zurückbekommt, zu Schritt 1, um von vorne zu beginnen. Ich entschuldige mich dafür, dass ich der Idiot in der Ecke bin, der nicht aufgepasst hat und zu sehr damit beschäftigt ist, an Animationen herumzufummeln...), aber ich habe auf jeden Fall „den Bus verpasst“, wenn es um diese Routen geht.
@220hotwheels : Pete, ich habe deinen Kommentar zu „rechte Straßenseite“ für das WP nicht verstanden; Sicherlich ist es Sache des Busses, alles zu tun, um sich dem WP zu nähern, von welcher Seite auch immer er sich befindet.? Es wird für mich natürlich mehr Sinn ergeben, wenn ich verstehe, wie man das macht, aber ich muss noch einmal von vorne beginnen, mit einem leeren Layout und einem Bus, um von A nach B, nach C und zurück zu fahren A. Nun, wo habe ich diesen Zauberstab hingelegt? Hmm... Das kann einige Zeit dauern...

Douglas

Bearbeitet von Dad3353

12 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. What have I started..? I must thank you ( Hawkeye, 220hotwheels, Goetz...) for your patience and replies. I have, now, a bigger problem : I have looked at the solutions offered above, and understand absolutely nothing of how these work..! I see that they do, indeed, make the buses go from WP to WP, but how I could do this on my own, I have no idea. It looks very much like Black Magic; I see no Events, no Routes, no method from Step 1 (bare layout, with 1 bus...), Step 2, decide where Bus1 has to go, Step 3 how to get it there, Step 4 where to go next, Step 5 how to get it there, Step 6, how to get it back to Step 1 to start again. My apologies for being the idiot in the corner who didn't pay attention (too busy fiddling around with animations...), but I've certainly 'missed the bus' when it comes to these Routes.
220hotwheels : Pete, I didn't understand your comment on 'right side of the road' for the WP; surely it's for the bus to do whatever it takes to approach the WP from whatever side it's on..? It'll make more sense to me once I understand how you do this, of course, but I'll have to start again, with an empty layout, and one bus, to go from A, to B, to C and back to A. Now, where did I put that Magic Wand..? Hmm... This might take some time...

Oh je, oh je, oh je. Was habe ich angefangen? Ich muss Ihnen ( Hawkeye, 220hotwheels, Goetz...) für Ihre Geduld und Antworten danken. Ich habe jetzt ein größeres Problem: Ich habe mir die oben angebotenen Lösungen angesehen und verstehe absolut nichts davon, wie diese funktionieren..! Ich sehe, dass sie die Busse tatsächlich von WP zu WP fahren lassen, aber wie ich das alleine schaffen könnte, weiß ich nicht. Es sieht Black Magic sehr ähnlich; Ich sehe keine Ereignisse, keine Routen, keine Methode aus Schritt 1 (nacktes Layout, mit 1 Bus...), Schritt 2, entscheiden, wohin Bus1 fahren muss, Schritt 3, wie man ihn dorthin bringt, Schritt 4, wohin als nächstes gehen soll, Schritt 5, wie man es dorthin bringt, Schritt 6, wie man es zurückbekommt, zu Schritt 1, um von vorne zu beginnen. Ich entschuldige mich dafür, dass ich der Idiot in der Ecke bin, der nicht aufgepasst hat und zu sehr damit beschäftigt ist, an Animationen herumzufummeln...), aber ich habe auf jeden Fall „den Bus verpasst“, wenn es um diese Routen geht.
220hotwheels : Pete, ich habe deinen Kommentar zu „rechte Straßenseite“ für das WP nicht verstanden; Sicherlich ist es Sache des Busses, alles zu tun, um sich dem WP zu nähern, von welcher Seite auch immer er sich befindet.? Es wird für mich natürlich mehr Sinn ergeben, wenn ich verstehe, wie man das macht, aber ich muss noch einmal von vorne beginnen, mit einem leeren Layout und einem Bus, um von A nach B, nach C und zurück zu fahren A. Nun, wo habe ich diesen Zauberstab hingelegt? Hmm... Das kann einige Zeit dauern...

Douglas

Hi Douglas

I think you will understand better if you proceed as follows:

1/ decide on the route that you wish the bus to take.

2/ place TC's at appropriate points on the route bearing in mind the 7 junction rule and make sure each TC is pointing in the direction of travel. (you will note on my example that I made sure only the arrow for direction of travel was highlighted.)

3/ make sure you have a start TC, at which point the bus will stop and then set off., and an end TC that allows you to complete the route. The latter simply needs to be positioned just behind the bus when stopped at the start point, or if there are no other junctions between the last TC(waypoint) and the start TC then the end TC can be positioned anywhere on that section of road but rule of thumb suggests that as close to the back of the bus when stopped at the start point would be best.

4/ select the bus, click on the route icon, top right of the speed control screen. Then select each TC (waypoint) on the route you desire and simply move from waypoint 1 to 2 to 3 etc. finishing at the end waypoint. If there is a problem with your choice of route, for example too many junctions or an overlap of the same piece of road then the route will not complete and you will get an error message.

So rather than start again simply go to the test layout 3a, click on bus 1, go to the speed control icon at the bottom of the screen, select the route icon ( this should be highlighted) click it once and the route set will disappear. Make sure the bus is on the start TC and select the bus. Select the route icon from the speed control setting and then begin to select the TC's (waypoints). first select the start TC, then the next and so on until you get to the last TC (the end waypoint). As you select each TC the route will be highlighted in green. If all is set correctly then the whole route will be highlighted at which time you can select "apply" and your route is now set.

I hope this helps. If there are any aspects that you want clarification on then please let me know.

Cheers

Pete

38 minutes ago, 220hotwheels said:

Hi Douglas

I think you will understand better if you proceed as follows:

1/ decide on the route that you wish the bus to take.

2/ place TC's at appropriate points on the route bearing in mind the 7 junction rule and make sure each TC is pointing in the direction of travel. (you will note on my example that I made sure only the arrow for direction of travel was highlighted.)

3/ make sure you have a start TC, at which point the bus will stop and then set off., and an end TC that allows you to complete the route. The latter simply needs to be positioned just behind the bus when stopped at the start point, or if there are no other junctions between the last TC(waypoint) and the start TC then the end TC can be positioned anywhere on that section of road but rule of thumb suggests that as close to the back of the bus when stopped at the start point would be best.

4/ select the bus, click on the route icon, top right of the speed control screen. Then select each TC (waypoint) on the route you desire and simply move from waypoint 1 to 2 to 3 etc. finishing at the end waypoint. If there is a problem with your choice of route, for example too many junctions or an overlap of the same piece of road then the route will not complete and you will get an error message.

So rather than start again simply go to the test layout 3a, click on bus 1, go to the speed control icon at the bottom of the screen, select the route icon ( this should be highlighted) click it once and the route set will disappear. Make sure the bus is on the start TC and select the bus. Select the route icon from the speed control setting and then begin to select the TC's (waypoints). first select the start TC, then the next and so on until you get to the last TC (the end waypoint). As you select each TC the route will be highlighted in green. If all is set correctly then the whole route will be highlighted at which time you can select "apply" and your route is now set.

I hope this helps. If there are any aspects that you want clarification on then please let me know.

Cheers

Pete

Excellent, Pete; I was working it out ('guessing'...) as you were typing, and got it to work exactly as you describe above, so thanks. I did the same for the other buses, and they now run, too, with the exception that I did not programme a 'halt' for the others. It would appear that, when the bus comes to the end of its Route, it just carries on, repeating its course, ad infinitum. I see that one may not compose the start point as the end point, hence the need for your 'End' CP. From there, the bus just runs along 'blind' until the next WP (the start point, if placed as you suggest...). There seems to be no need for a halt, unless, as a bus, one wishes to simulate a bus-stop (any CP would work for that, anywhere on the Route...). The problem remains that, if there's a passage over another WP along the route, the bus takes this as an opportunity to deviate from the sequence of the list; I can't see how to avoid this unless each route specifically avoid this case. More testing, but it's working, at least. I don't (yet...) see the relation between this, simple yet effective, method, and the 'official' 'Routes' icon, with its options of 'Do Something' when activated or de-activated. That will come, I don't doubt, but for now, the buses are running on time. Cheers...

Douglas

I don't (yet...) see the relation between this, simple yet effective, method, and the 'official' 'Routes' icon, with its options of 'Do Something' when activated or de-activated.

The routes clear the way for a train.
And in rail traffic, only one train is permitted to occupy a section. Thus, the route checks for blocking vehicles.
On the road, however, there's no such separation.

On rail, switch points define a train's direction. And all switch points ahead to the end of a route are set and reserved for one particular train, until the train has passed 'em
Rods don't have switch points. They just fork and let the driver (the car) decide, which branch he want's to go into.

Hence routes don't work for cars (nor trams!)

Hi Douglas

I do fully understand the point that Goetz has made about routes, they are basically designed for trains, however, and this might just be a pure fluke, but I was having problems with cars loading onto a car transporter. The problem was solved by setting "routes" in addition to the more traditional method for vehicles, so that I could activate or deactivate them in the EV when necessary. This solved my problem and I am the first to admit that it might simply be by chance, there may well be no meaningful reason for this.

That said I applied the same philosophy to your layout, see attached screenshot. Since doing so I have had no issues with the buses deviating from their routes. No logic but it seems to work.

Cheers

Pete

Douglas's test layout.jpg

test layout for road routes3a.mbp

vor 27 Minuten schrieb 220hotwheels:

doing so I have had no issues with the buses

Because the roads are empty, with the exception of 3 buses.
And the set routes will not help the bus to find it's proper way, because roads have no switch points.
Something maybe steering the bus, but it isn't the route setting.

3 minutes ago, Goetz said:

And the set routes will not help the bus to find it's proper way, because roads have no switch points.

Thanks for that, the mystery thickens. Perhaps the hand of the almighty has taken pity on our plight!!!!!

15 minutes ago, Goetz said:

This was one of my issues when I was looking at road, in general. I had been using the 'switches' (I call 'em 'points', as with railways...) to point the cars at junctions, using CP and EV, and was surprised (and disappointed...) when this no longer worked when the roads all changed. There are still 'points' in there, but I don't know now how to operate them. I understand that roads are not rails, and that the concepts are different, and I'm pleased that Routes work so well for trains. I do, however, wish to add animated road vehicles (with bicycles, joggers and pedestrians etc...) to the layouts, whilst keeping the trains running. Maybe it's a lost cause, and I should just content myself with a few cars and vans moving in the layout. I'll see how far I can get it to work, maybe with a mix of Routes and Chaos. Meanwhile, many thanks for the information passed on, and here's my first bus route around the town centre. The zebra crossings work, but the Stop signs are only symbolic, and any unwary bicycle is likely to come a cropper..! I've enough to think about for a while, but I do have my stubborn streak..!

Dies war eines meiner Probleme, als ich mich allgemein mit der Straße beschäftigte. Ich hatte die „Schalter“ (ich nenne sie „Weichen“, wie bei der Eisenbahn...) verwendet, um die Waggons an Kreuzungen zu lenken, mit CP und EV, und war überrascht (und enttäuscht...), als dies nicht mehr der Fall war funktionierte, als sich die Straßen veränderten. Da sind immer noch „Punkte“ drin, aber ich weiß jetzt nicht, wie ich sie bedienen soll. Ich verstehe, dass Straßen keine Schienen sind und dass die Konzepte unterschiedlich sind, und ich freue mich, dass Routen für Züge so gut funktionieren. Ich möchte den Anlagen jedoch animierte Straßenfahrzeuge (mit Fahrrädern, Joggern, Fußgängern usw.) hinzufügen und gleichzeitig die Züge am Laufen halten. Vielleicht ist es ein hoffnungsloser Fall, und ich sollte mich einfach mit ein paar Autos und Transportern begnügen, die sich auf der Anlage bewegen. Ich werde sehen, wie weit ich es zum Laufen bringen kann, vielleicht mit einer Mischung aus Routes und Chaos. In der Zwischenzeit vielen Dank für die weitergegebenen Informationen und hier ist meine erste Buslinie durch die Innenstadt. Die Zebrastreifen funktionieren, aber die Stoppschilder haben nur symbolischen Charakter, und jedes unvorsichtige Fahrrad wird wahrscheinlich zu kurz kommen..! Ich habe eine Weile genug zum Nachdenken, aber ich habe meine Sturheit..!

Douglas

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Dad3353:

There are still 'points' in there, but I don't know now how to operate them.

They are no longer points, Doug. There's nothing to control. Nothing you can switch. Roads may fork into multiple branches at junctions.
At any crossroads, a vehicle has all options available.

A train is guided by the rail it's running on. But cars aren't steered by the road. The car itself (resp. the driver) decides which way to turn.

Points have always been a hinderance in road traffic. The side effects became more noticeable with the increase of complex scenarios.
A switch works by activating and deactivating branches. On a road this may result in one car getting stuck on an inactive branch, because the next car behind set the point for it's own, different destination.

This led to the decision to remove points from road junctions alltogether. To steer a car, you've got to assign a destination.
With a destination, each car can find the way across any junction with no interference from any other car.

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Dad3353:

I do, however, wish to add animated road vehicles (with bicycles, joggers and pedestrians etc...) to the layouts

And that's precisely what this new system was designed for!

Goetz

Bearbeitet von Goetz
additional remarks

8 minutes ago, Goetz said:

They are no longer points, Doug. There's nothing to control. Nothing you can switch. Roads may fork into multiple branches at junctions.
At any crossroads, a vehicle has all options available.

A train is guided by the rail it's running on. But cars aren't steered by the road. The car itself (resp. the driver) decides which way to turn.

Points have always been a hinderance in road traffic. The side effects became more noticeable with the increase of complex scenarios.
A switch works by activating and deactivating branches. On a road this may result in one car getting stuck on an inactive branch, because the next car behind set the point for it's own, different destination.

This led to the decision to remove points from road junctions alltogether. To steer a car, you've got to assign a destination.
With a destination, each car can find the way across any junction with no interference from any other car.

And that's precisely what this new system was designed for!

Goetz

Yes, I can see that there's a divergence here in our thinking. The way I was doing stuff, points could send a car, any car, in any direction of that junction. To me, that was fine. I could have a number of cars, all milling around. Sometimes things got clogged up, but I was working out ways around this. Now, with routes for cars, I'll have to establish a route for each one, when I don't really care where they go to or from, as long as they move around, much like the real traffic that I see around me. I'll keep going, and see what happens, but it's a whole new way of doing stuff.