Crash Barriers

220hotwheels

Empfohlene Beiträge

Hi

I'm not too sure how, or if it is possible, to direct this question to the publisher of the crash barriers going back to 2015, fmkBerlin, but in the hope that this does reach said person I would like to know if it is at all possible for these to be designed in such a way as to allow for a flexible application.

My layout is now quite large, I have many areas that will benefit from the inclusion of crash barriers and whilst the items currently in the catalogue are perfectly suited to this task the time taken to ensure a perfect fit, especially on inclines, is proving quite extensive. Always wanting to look for a more time efficient method then flexible elements would be a brilliant solution.

It's just a thought, it might not be possible or practical but if you don't ask the question then you will never know.

Kind regards

Pete

Hi Hubert

Many thanks for your reply and advice. I was aware of the concrete ones and suggestions 2 & 3 but I had not spotted your last suggestion. Having taken a look at them I do admit that it would be the best alternative to those I have currently been using. It would be much quicker, perhaps more accurate than my attempts with those offered by fmkBerlin but I must also admit that the latter are perhaps still the most realistic especially for country roads. If I was looking for crash barriers for a motorway or dual carriageway then the concrete ones would be a better choice. Before posting my request I completed a section of road, which was on an incline and with several curves. Having used 25 sections of the fmkBerlin items and having spent around 1 hour 30 mins completing this I decided to copy and past on to the other side of the road. All went fine apart from a few minor adjustments until I suddenly noticed that the barriers on that side of the road were the wrong way round. What a muppet I thought. Of course they would be if you simply copied and pasted and so they were deleted and I redid that side the hard way. It now looks fine but three hours work is rather time consuming, especially after calculating that I have approximately another 280 barriers still to include.

I will simply have to try your suggestion on a section of road and see how it looks along with all of the other scenery.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to reply and to offer the alternatives.

Kind regards

Pete

Hi Hubert

Just tried your recommended metal crash barriers. They look good. A metallic grey would be preferable to white as the white looks a bit like a picket fence from a distance but beggars can't be too choosy now can they.!! 

As I mentioned earlier what took me around 4 hours with the fmkBerlin barriers I was able to redo in just over ten minutes. To get it to fit perfectly using Leitplanke 4 to do both sides of the road at the same time simply meant adjusting the size from 1 to 1.1.

A great result, a brilliant suggestion, many thanks once again.

Kind regards

Pete

Lovely ! Il ike the way how you have put the road higher and that stairs that leads up to it... so real !

You know you can adjust the distance from the crashbarriers to road itself, correct ? I mean, i you place the barrier next to the road and use the follow me tool... there is this adjustment you can make. If you place one, set it to the right distance, and then use the follow me tool again for the rest of the pieces of the road, the rest of the barriers will have the same distance as the first one you have placed (and configurated)

(just recicicling info... you might allready know this)

Perhaps i should allready upload some textures i edited on the basis of @BahnLandhis road textures, as an extra option in the MBS catalog.

Dunno though how quick it might be available. I think @Neo is quite busy now with the V7 version.

But then again, you can edit it yourself also, by exporting the texture, edit and re upload as a personel one.

About the the white crash barriers. yes, they are from de faller roads. So those are white.

By the way, your layout is European setup ? That road looks like a Dutch river side... very similar ! Gratz !

(could be German ;))

roadside.jpg

roadside2.jpg

Or this one. Fresh...  have a try. 375CA842-DD9A-4E38-9C9B-E5E63C9EC4AA

cobblestone.thumb.jpg.1f67286f7bb859f634e730fbad06d909.jpg

And , have you tried these ?

FB15B21B-B29A-4065-AA7C-0AC766030C9E

These are from @FeuerFighter

1607222978_followmetool.thumb.jpg.6b8089ad8f27c657e937cc2a3084befd.jpg

Bearbeitet von hubert.visschedijk

Hi Hubert

Many thanks for that. Like a true dinosaur I overlook the obvious and do everything the hard way. I know the follow me tool is there I just hadn't thought to use it. No wonder most things take me hours to work through. So now it's time to experiment.

I started my Fairmont layout back in 2019 using V4. As the layout got bigger I sort of lost interest in it and started a new layout, Belfort, which I think you have already seen my progress there but to a point. With much to do on that particular layout in terms of turning it into a more professional one I keep moving between it and Fairmont. The latter taking up more time though now as I am keen to get more of it running better as I learn different techniques. This layout is 14000 x 6500 'N' scale with over 8200 objects and and 5,938,336 polygons so at times thing run a little slow but generally speaking with a bit of careful juggling I can keep fps to 30fps and above. Modifying scenery is the bit that takes time now but I am hopeful that V7 will have sufficient modification to improve on this.

Presently I have around 70 'T' junctions most of which work in a fashion but I have also been experimenting with my own version of a proper working junction and feel that I am almost there. For me vehicles approaching junctions have to perform as they would in real life. Some move quicker than others, some take longer to make turns as do others including pulling out at junctions. A car will pull out much faster than a truck or bus. In my experimental junctions there are perhaps 30 different elements. Perhaps someone with a much greater knowledge of these sorts of EM work would be able to cut this down but I'm learning on the job, so to speak and enjoying every minute.

You are right too about the European nature of my layouts. Initially I set everything up to run as in the UK but could not accept my bus passengers having to embark and disembark into the middle of the road so I switch everything to EU format. The only thing I have not switch is the rail track layout. My trains are still running as in the UK. I had set much of this track and completed a lot of the EM before I realised this so for now we are a mixed hobbyist !!!!

Once again many thanks for your further advice.

Kind regards

Pete

Pete,

Id like to see your layout when its done. Or even the way it is. Could you load it into the catolog ?

I dont mind if its not finished. You can always update it as you go.

What i do when i am building a layout is, is setting the grafics as low as possible. So no shades etc... That might help because i like large layouts aswell to create a real scene. I am not fond of "roundabout" layouts. 

Since i saw the picture in your post, i crafted some sidings for the landstreets with 11 diferent textures to exchange.

These can be applied with the follow tool and also have a left and right version of it. So you can have dirt earth on one side and cobblestone on the other for example.  For i recall, roads have sidings of stones or whatever, especially on the inner curve or busstops and crossroads.

sidings.thumb.jpg.04acc087932d36ef37f0ec3496840f3f.jpg

Check it out;

F568DD94-EBD0-4339-8BBC-6C4BA923B61C

Hi Hubert

Many thanks once again. You do realise that you have now given me more work to do but I do think it will be worth it. So from me a definite thumbs up to the roadside texturing.

As for posting my Fairmont2 layout as is. I have no problem with that if I knew how to do so. I seem to think that Goetz or Simonjackson1964 might have told me how but I really can't remember. Perhaps it might instil a few constructive comments and advice as well as potential criticism but all would be welcomed.  They don't call me rhino hide for nothing. All I ask is that you bear in mind that there is much unfinished and plenty half finished. Like a butterfly I flit from one bit to another as I have a different idea. Very shortly I hope to tackle some of my junctions after which I should be able to introduce more vehicles but for now I limit them to certain tasks.

So if you would kindly remind me how to post said layout without sending it as an mbp I would be most grateful. 

Kind regards

Pete

I found it... woow, gratz. So much detail and nice how you did the height diferences. You created some nice individual sceneries like that.

And, you have used the "golden gate" bridge. That was some work to get it alinhed for the roads. (it could need an update)

I made one for myself in the past also... 265C8BC5-5339-4E07-8169-6359A5385897

(even started to build a new one... but lost interest...)

If you call this one unfinished... cant wait to see it finished then. And if, upload it.

People love to see it and get inspired ! Id for one, need some EV lessons.. chinese for me....

Many greetings and gratz again !

from 09/09/2018

Hangbrug1.jpg

Hi again Hubert

Since posting my layout I immediately noticed that there was a problem with one aspect, (all to do with the Windall Village route/vehicles). The local bus seems to have had a mind of it's own and decided to try to enter the football stadium. I've now corrected the EV and, I hope reset all of the vehicles in that part of the program so that they follow correct instructions. In your opinion should I post the amendment and if so how do I do this please. Is it the same as initially saving/sharing. If so does it overwrite the original and if so does it keep the same content reference.

Glad you like the layout. As I said there's lots to correct, lots to improve and lots to still do.

Kind regards

Pete

Hi Hubert

Yes I like your upgrade of the Golden Gate Bridge. I tried it on the Fairmont layout my only problem is that my original bridge had to be scaled down to 0.8 but still with the road scaled at 1. If I scale your version down to 0.8 then the road scale drops as well which I believe will cause a knock on problem in trying to connect the roads at both ends.

If V7 allows me greater flexibility to increase the size still further then I already plane for an island off the Sudbury coastline and could therefore use you version of the suspension bridge for that without the scaling problem. Anyway that's in the future. For now your upgrade is spot on so great work. I know from experience just how time consuming it is to get the road to sit properly.

Kind regards

Pete

Hi Hubert

Not too sure what's going on here but since uploading Fairmont 2 unfinished I have found several other elements where the programming for some vehicles has gone all to pot. Could this be a coincidence? 

I also seem to have lost a message posted to you saying many thanks for your road edging. I have tried one small section so far and it looks great, see attached screenshot.

Most definitely this should be included in the catalogue, it's brilliant.

Kind regards

Pete

Fairmont2 Screenshot 2021-08-13 19.58.12.jpg

7 hours ago, 220hotwheels said:

Hi Hubert

I forgot to mention the content ID which is: C0AC34C3-653A-4B16-B492-41883E849F1C

Kind regards

Pete

Bloomin' heck; it's HUGE..! Well done, lad, for having the ptience and gumption for doing all of that. Unfinished..? It's going to take me weeks just to look it over and admire it..! Good Stuff..! B|

Blühender Teufel; es ist riesig..! Gut gemacht, Junge, dass du die Geduld und den Mut hast, all das zu tun. Unvollendet..? Ich werde Wochen brauchen, um es mir anzusehen und zu bewundern..! Gutes Zeug..! B|

vor 5 Stunden schrieb 220hotwheels:

Yes I like your upgrade of the Golden Gate Bridge. I tried it on the Fairmont layout my only problem is that my original bridge had to be scaled down to 0.8 but still with the road scaled at 1. If I scale your version down to 0.8 then the road scale drops as well which I believe will cause a knock on problem in trying to connect the roads at both ends.

Yes, you cant scale it down as a whole model because of that.

I have seen that you scaled the bridge down first and then added the roads. My only objection to that is that a car might ( the trucks perhaps for sure) will touch the pillars. But on such a large layout, that is something I could live with... somehow.

Offcourse, a smaller version of such a nice bridge would be welcome. Who knows i may pick up the sketch again sometime. Not for now, for sure.

Many greetings. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb 220hotwheels:

In your opinion should I post the amendment and if so how do I do this please.

Well, you should post it only when you want to. Just give a shout when you got some substancial alterations that you want to share.

You can be proud of the work and efford you have put into your layout untill now ! Nothing wrong in sharing ! Inspires ! 

But its in the same way as you did first. You can save it normally or save and share.

When you choose that option, it will upload again and will have the same ID number which was created on your first upload.

You could see it like this; The first time is upload, the rest is update. Same ID allways.

many greetings,

Good morning Hubert and Douglas

Many thanks for your kind comment. I hope you enjoy the tour round. Whilst the overall scenic part has not too much more to complete apart from a few changes my efforts from now on are to try to perfect much of the present working stuff and add more of that. By my reckoning I have quite a few more bits to complete in regard to working sections but that's part of the fun. Have an idea try to make it work and hope that after numerous attempts you get there.

Kind regards

Pete

Hi Hubert

Just taken another look at my suspension bridge. I sent a truck with curtainsider trailer over and got a call from his boss to tell me that the poor guy had smashed his rear view mirrors, oops.

I've now rescaled it from 0.8 to 0.85 and they now get through without damage, Phew.

Many thanks for pointing that out to me. It just goes to show that there is definite merit in the saying "two heads are better than one". Hopefully over the next few months I might get similar feedback so that I can make adjustments. There is one very obvious one that I know I need to sort out somehow. I'll wait to see if your eagle eye spots it before I figure out how to make the adjustment.

Kind regards

Pete

4 hours ago, 220hotwheels said:

... I hope you enjoy the tour round...

Good afternoon, Pete...

Only a rapid overview last night, which got extended, as there's so much to see. I cycled through the camera views, and saw much detail which will need further investigation. I've not yet looked at all at the Events; I was merely enjoying the view each time. I particularly liked the car transporter, and followed the emptied train to the refill point to see them load up again. You must have had quite some fun setting all that up.
One thing I did notice, and right from the start, was the view from Camera 0, where there was a slow goods train moving out from the station (or goods yard..? I don't remember...). Behind it was a commuter train, which was free to run slowly into the rear of the goods train, but it went out of view too quickly for me to see if there was, indeed, an accident or not. Just a detail, and you're easily forgiven, as it's 'unfinished', but I found it amusing (no, I'm not a train expert; others would have been scandalised by such lax track control..!).
Naturally it takes quite some time to load, at first (I have but a rather modest PC...), but I shall be returning to marvel further at the virtual life been enacted there. Where do those 'platform' trucks go with their containers, for instance, once they've been transferred from the wagons by the crane..? I'll investigate this evening, and doubtless discover more, much more...
Thanks for sharing...

Guten Tag, Peter...

Nur ein schneller Überblick gestern Abend, der erweitert wurde, da es so viel zu sehen gibt. Ich ging durch die Kameraansichten und sah viele Details, die weiter untersucht werden müssen. Ich habe mir die Events noch gar nicht angeschaut; Ich genoss jedes Mal nur die Aussicht. Der Autotransporter hat mir besonders gut gefallen und ich bin dem entleerten Zug bis zur Tankstelle gefolgt, um sie wieder beladen zu sehen. Sie müssen bestimmt viel Spaß gehabt haben, das alles einzurichten.
Was mir aufgefallen ist, und zwar gleich zu Beginn, war der Blick aus Kamera 0, wo ein langsamer Güterzug aus dem Bahnhof (oder Güterbahnhof...? ich erinnere mich nicht...) fuhr. Dahinter stand ein S-Bahn-Zug, der langsam in den Güterzug einfahren konnte, aber zu schnell verschwand, als dass ich sehen konnte, ob es tatsächlich einen Unfall gab oder nicht. Nur ein Detail, und man kann es leicht verzeihen, da es "unvollendet" ist, aber ich fand es amüsant (nein, ich bin kein Zugexperte; andere wären über eine so laxe Gleiskontrolle empört gewesen..!).
Das Laden dauert natürlich anfangs ziemlich lange (ich habe nur einen recht bescheidenen PC...), aber ich werde wiederkommen, um das virtuelle Leben dort weiter zu bestaunen. Wohin gehen diese 'Plattform'-LKWs mit ihren Containern, wenn sie zum Beispiel mit dem Kran aus den Waggons gehoben wurden? Ich werde heute Abend nachforschen und zweifellos mehr, viel mehr entdecken...
Danke für das Teilen...

Douglas

vor 4 Stunden schrieb 220hotwheels:

Just taken another look at my suspension bridge. I sent a truck with curtainsider trailer over and got a call from his boss to tell me that the poor guy had smashed his rear view mirrors, oops.

:D:D:D

vor 4 Stunden schrieb 220hotwheels:

I've now rescaled it from 0.8 to 0.85 and they now get through without damage, Phew.

good for the driver ! But who send the poor guy over the bridge in the first place ???  ;)

Be sure i will follow you updates when posted.  Not to criticize, but because its a pleasure to look at, and enjoy, your layout ! 

(edited)

Perhaps you consider doing something special... leaving the bridge on its original scale and add a invisible switch on those spots where the pillars are. Every truck follows the switch position. As if hes deviating from the pillar.

Somewhat excessive perhaps to make, all in all with the layout, but it could be an funny option...

With kind regards,

And I thought I had a twisted sense of humour!! It would be funny though. I'm now two thirds through re laying the road section of the bridge, I settled on 0.9 instead of 0.85 so that I gave the driver plenty of room to wave at the passing trains!! Once this is complete I might just try your idea on a copy of the layout and see what is look like. Could be interesting if two vehicles meet at similar points at the same time. If they do then the insurance claim is down to you.!!

Kind regards

Pete